Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The amount of money spent on junk that never gets used must be astonishing. Yet people feel obliged to part with their hard earnt cash to buy presents for the sake of it. I cringe when I see people queuing up in a packed shop at Xmas buying 'pressies' like a zombie. Save up for a nice holiday or something.

ReputationRep:
    Scrooge!

ReputationRep:
    I've been wondering this, you spend £20 on someone then they spend £20 on you, why not just buy yourself something you actually want and cut out the middle man

ReputationRep:
    but its all nice and festive, the thought thats been put in and the surprise is nice

ReputationRep:
    to fuel materialism and consumerism. all for a more secular world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    but its all nice and festive, the thought thats been put in and the surprise is nice
    Hardly a surprise considering it boils down to one day in the year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it would be easier if everyone spent some money on themselves every year instead. But I guess it's nice giving and receiving presents, it's just one of the things that makes Christmas special.

ReputationRep:
    what's the point of anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superfical space cadet)
    I've been wondering this, you spend £20 on someone then they spend £20 on you, why not just buy yourself something you actually want and cut out the middle man
    Because that would be going against Thatcherite economics. :yep:

So do it! :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Its a way to express gratitude, friendship and affection to people you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWZC)
    Its a way to express gratitude, friendship and affection to people you know.
    Not the only way, and a bloody inefficient way to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Not the only way, and a bloody inefficient way to do so.
    Yes but as humans are we ever anything but inefficient? Look at our political, economic, religious, justice and education systems. All are horribly innefficient, why be any different with xmas prezzies? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Because it helps to keep the economy flowing which is exactly what we need at this current moment in time !!!

ReputationRep:
    People buy me things I want without me getting them anything; gotta love Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    its a nice thing to do

i love buying presents for people at christmas

ReputationRep:
    Why are you such a miser

(I do agree though, never do the old christmas present thing myself. My present is usually to be the chef and cook up an extraordinary feast... I do love getting presents though, they're fun. I tend to buy them more for birthdays than Christmas. I think the point is to boost e.o.y sales in shops)

ReputationRep:
    Its a way to bring families together who wouldn't do unless it was christmas! AMEN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_lines)
    Its a way to bring families together who wouldn't do unless it was christmas! AMEN!
    I go to see family for the food mate, not for the crap presents! Also, to enjoy their company of course. :yep: :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    The premature middle-aged-ness is kicking in again, but I hate Xmas. I'd prefer to just go away for the month of December and come back when it's all over. Stupid Xmas presents and 'having' to buy them for people just cos they got you something. It's just stress! That's the way it is at home anyway. Yeah I'm scrooge!

ReputationRep:
    I hate getting christmas presents, I'm never satisfied with getting pointless presents which means I get very stressed out trying to think of the perfect present for far too many people. Usually I just remove myself from it all, nobody gets me anything, I don't get them anything and I buy presents for myself. And if I happen to see something that would be nice for a friend I get it anyway and don't worry that there hasn't been a special "occasion" for it.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.