Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its all about suprises 8-)

ReputationRep:
    Because you are celebrating the birth of JESUS CHRIST .... NOT 'X Mas'

ReputationRep:
    arwh, I honestly prefer to give them than recieve. I like the idea that I've taken the time to plan out what they'd want and love how it makes me feel when I give it them. I don't just go out and buy people bath sets, urgh now that is pointless.

Maybe it's because I'm secretly a selfish show off?

ReputationRep:
    If you are so against it, don't buy any presents and ask people not to get you any. Problem solved.

I love Christmas and shopping around for the perfect presents. That is only part of the Christmas experience though!

ReputationRep:
    Cause its nice :-D

Also, presents aren't 'junk that doesn't get used', I always make sure I buy presents that people actually want, like a dvd, or book or a perfume they like.

ReputationRep:
    I think the idea of presents is nice, probably because I've never been forced into the idea that expensive + more = better.

I'd be perfectly happy if someone gave me a packet of chocolate buttons as a Christmas present, and tbh they're likely to get something much the same considering my budget. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *AllyBaba)
    arwh, I honestly prefer to give them than recieve. I like the idea that I've taken the time to plan out what they'd want and love how it makes me feel when I give it them. I don't just go out and buy people bath sets, urgh now that is pointless.

Maybe it's because I'm secretly a selfish show off?
    Ooer hello missus.

Also OP you're right. but you're also wrong, it's hard to explain but what I say does make sense..

ReputationRep:
    The joy of giving and receiving.

(presents :ninja:)

ReputationRep:
    I just tell people not to buy me stuff and I won't buy them stuff. I don't celebrate Christmas at all anyway, and most people know this so it's not an issue really.

ReputationRep:
    Just what I was thinking... I can't be bothered to buy presents this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    Ooer hello missus.

Also OP you're right. but you're also wrong, it's hard to explain but what I say does make sense..
    Yus I said thats because I'm a secret selfish show off. All makes me look good at the end of the day :p:

ReputationRep:
    Tradition?

Besides, I actually like shopping for other people :o:

ReputationRep:
    Christmas presents are fun. And it's such a nice feeling when you've thought long and hard about the present you give to someone and then they end up loving it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink_lucie)
    Because you are celebrating the birth of JESUS CHRIST .... NOT 'X Mas'
    it took the second page of the thread for that to be mentioned oh my

So the high street shops can make money from things you wouldn't usually buy.

ReputationRep:
    I tried to think of a way of saying "either don't waste your money on a pointless present, or don't give give me anything" without sounding ridiculously ungrateful, and came up with nothing, so I've settled with telling people not to buy me presents at all this year. As cliche as it sounds I am quite looking forward enough to just going home and seeing people

To show people you care about & appreciate them!
    I enjoy giving presents more than receiving them. Planning what to get for people is so fun. X3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.