The Student Room Group

Different races

This may be a dumb question to you but Ive always wondered you know how people of other nationalities are to an extent biologically different from the British? For example indians and chinese people have different skin colours from us, Chinese and Japanese have different facial features and Afrikans have in general larger bone structures and so on. I wondered how do Americans and Australians differ from us? Or are the British (as in white) not classed as a different race from Americans and Australians? Are there no slight differences we might look the same but maybe we or they have slightly different facial features are prone to certain illnesses because of slightly different make ups. Anyone know?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*Waits for Pavlik to spout off pseudo-scientific nonsense on the white race's superiority*
Reply 2
I doubt there's any real significant difference, and even if there was, whoever published the research would be hated.
americans look different to the british - one can tell the difference between the two, in general.
Reply 4
theres a difference in the Gene pool, but we all have the same ammount of chromosomes lol.
White Americans and Australians are settlers. The first White Americans were pilgrims from GB (ie, on ships like 'The Mayflower'). I think they werre escaping persecution (for their non conformist Christian beliefs) but I could be wrong... neways, they were like pilgrims etc...
The first White Australians were (again, I think), convicts from Britain, going to places like Botany bay. Before this there were Native Americans and Aborigines (respectively).
So, White Americans (WASPS really), and White Australians, are not really considered genetically different to White British people (by which I mean people indigenous to these isles, rather than immigrants).
Though of course nowadays most White Americans are, I'm sure, somewhat mixed because America has had such massive waves of imigration since the days of Jamestown and the pilgrims...
There are three broad racial definitions Negroid, Caucosoid and Mongoloid, but actually even within those there are lots of micro races.

Japanese and Korean look the way they do owing to their siberian origins.

Negroids obviously the opposite applies, they are in fact the oldest race

Caucasians are in the middle with features of both those extremes.

Indians throw up some surprises, for they have features of all three sometimes. For example, dark skin and yet also a high amount of body hair but generally they are lumped in with caucasians.

Generally northern mongoloids live the longest and are least sexually active. They are also surprisingly intolerant to alcohol. Negroids are known prostate cancer. South asians regularly contract diabetes and also sickle cell aneamia. As for whitey, well I dont think anyone can dispute what happens to white skin under full sun. think lobster.
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are three broad racial definitions Negroid, Caucosoid and Mongoloid, but actually even within those there are lots of micro races.

Japanese and Korean look the way they do owing to their siberian origins.

Negroids obviously the opposite applies, they are in fact the oldest race

Caucasians are in the middle with features of both those extremes.

Indians throw up some surprises, for they have features of all three sometimes. For example, dark skin and yet also a high amount of body hair but generally they are lumped in with caucasians.

Generally northern mongoloids live the longest and are least sexually active. They are also surprisingly intolerant to alcohol. Negroids are known prostate cancer. South asians regularly contract diabetes and also sickle cell aneamia. As for whitey, well I dont think anyone can dispute what happens to white skin under full sun. think lobster.

What about Arabs?
Reply 8
goodLife
Afrikans

You mean Africans. Afrikaners, with a 'k', are white.
Bubbles*de*Milo
What about Arabs?

caucasoids
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
caucasoids

Isn't that like European though? :s-smilie:

I mean...some Arabs are dark! (Though, when you think about it, that's normally the further West you go, like the closer to Africa, so I dunno, mixed blood?)
Americans have better teeth than Brits.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Isn't that like European though? :s-smilie:

I mean...some Arabs are dark! (Though, when you think about it, that's normally the further West you go, like the closer to Africa, so I dunno, mixed blood?)

they are dark skinned caucasians basically. actually the horn of africa (Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan) is genetically similar to arab owing to migrations back and forth across the gulf of aden and the sinai strait
From what I know, everyone originates from Africa, but people left in tribes over hundreds of years. Those who settled in the north have lighter hair and skin becuase they have had to adapt to the colder temperatures and lack of sunlight. Those who stayed in Africa are often the darkest because of the sunlight. Their skin has had to produce something which I can't remember to protect itself from the sunlight. The air quality is also different and thats why our nose structures are all different. I also read that those with blue eyes all originate from a common ancestor who produced the mutation of blue eyes.

:smile:
Ang|ophi|e
From what I know, everyone originates from Africa, but people left in tribes over hundreds of years. Those who settled in the north have lighter hair and skin becuase they have had to adapt to the colder temperatures and lack of sunlight. Those who stayed in Africa are often the darkest because of the sunlight. Their skin has had to produce something which I can't remember to protect itself from the sunlight. The air quality is also different and thats why our nose structures are all different. I also read that those with blue eyes all originate from a common ancestor who produced the mutation of blue eyes.

:smile:

How does that explain different hair texture and facial features? That's rubbish about the air quality and our nose structures.
All at once

:yep:

That's the tooth and nothing but the tooth.
:getmecoat:
NW8_SW1_EC3
How does that explain different hair texture and facial features? That's rubbish about the air quality and our nose structures.

The air quality is not the same here in Miami as it is in England. To say that over thousands of generations, it hasn't affected our genetics is rubbish.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but I have discussed this with various teachers who are pretty much in agreement.
Reply 17
You can't really put everyone into discrete racial categories. You can only make generalisations about populations. I wouldn't be surprised if there were certain genetic traits that are more prevalent in the white American or Australian populations than they are in the white British population, but probably not enough for anyone to really consider them a different race. Although the term is very inconsistently used, we tend to use the concept of ethnicity more than race these days which also takes into account cultural differences.
Reply 18
I read numerous studies showing:

Asians (chinese/japanese/ Korean) had the HIGHEST IQ by far

Whites had significantly lower IQ, expect Jews who were nearly on par with the above

Blacks on average were lowest with a calibrated 93 IQ

Arabs always seemed to be ingored in these studies.

Funny how you always here about Whites claiming that black people are inferior due to their lower IQ, yet in the same breath they never ever mention that Asians have a much higher IQ than themselves, even further than the gap between blacks and whites.
Reply 19
All at once

so so true, the British are renowned for their ****** up teeth, but is it really to do with genetics?

Latest

Trending

Trending