The Student Room Group

Help needed - law education related

Long story short. I have changed careers. I am a mature student. Recently completed a GDL and SQE1 awaiting results. I have been applying to legal jobs and it is vicious. The competition is unlike I’ve ever known it. I have transferable skills and this is not good enough for entry level legal roles. Each application states LPC highly desirable or required. Firms have not adapted to SQE as yet and I have the ability to still do the LPC. Finances aside- does anyone have a strong opinion that I should undertake the LPC to be able to have both routes to qualification available to me. It may be a very long slug to getting my first legal role. Some have stated it takes months. In this time I could have obtained the LPC which is what firms/ employers appear to still be comfortable with. Maybe this will allow me to be able to broaden my chances of obtaining a role whether it be a training contract or paralegal role. It would not be just the LPC as I would add the Masters on to it. If needed I could still qualify via sqe.Very stressed and need to make a decision fairly soon. Again, finances aside as this is not an issue. Do you think it would be wise to undertake the LPC (topped up to become an LLM) or stick with applying (even though it may take months) to get a first legal role?
Considering that you're awaiting your SQE results. I would highly recommend to continue applying for paralegal roles. If you have linkedin, there are new paralegal roles everyday which are easy to apply to. Some roles are entry level paying up to £24k and the LPC/LLM isn't necessarily required. If you are still struggling, maybe apply for legal assistant roles? you would still be able to qualify as a solicitor through the SQE route. I wish you the best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending