The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Uni of Liverpool (local uni) or lancaster for law?

Hi, I’m going to apply at Lancaster uni on results day (clearance) for law but I wanted some tips/advice on whether I should move to lancaster or stay at my local area (not that it’s a big issue for me but yeah) cause I do go for shopping and so on but I heard lancaster is quite small
Original post by student17!
Hi, I’m going to apply at Lancaster uni on results day (clearance) for law but I wanted some tips/advice on whether I should move to lancaster or stay at my local area (not that it’s a big issue for me but yeah) cause I do go for shopping and so on but I heard lancaster is quite small

Hi @student17!

I’m a little confused as to whether you’re asking if you should commute from Liverpool to Lancaster or if you’re asking for more of a comparison between the two. I’ll try and answer a bit of both but feel free to respond and correct me :smile:

I come from Merseyside myself but wouldn’t recommend commuting to Lancaster. It’s around an hour / hour and a half away but would eat up quite a bit of time each day. The uni will also help you sort accommodation if you come through clearing so that’s nothing to worry about. I’ve taken this extract from the clearing website “To reduce the stress of Clearing, we guarantee university owned, managed or approved accommodation for the first year of study if you are joining us through Clearing.”

Lancaster is for sure a smaller city than Liverpool but it’s about personal preference. I really like this aspect of Lancaster as it’s really easy to get around, and feels pretty safe. The uni is only a 10 / 15 min bus ride away from the town centre and because of its size it doesn’t take too long to get familiar with the area. Lancaster has one location of most of the big name retailers. We have the student essential Primark as well as Next, New Look etc. And of course there’s smaller shops as well. There’s plenty of bars, restaurants and cafes. Some of my favourite cafes are Diggles and Bob and Bert’s. We also now have a Nando’s that I haven’t checked out yet so that’s an exciting addition. We also have a few nightclubs including Sugar, the student Union owned club.

There’s also a few things to do in Lancaster some of my favourites being Williamson park, Vue cinema and the accessibility to the Lakes. The other month myself and a few uni mates went to Bowness-on-Windermere. It was only around 40 minutes away and was a great day out.

I decided to move out of my parents house to gain more independence and really enjoyed the experience of living on campus. I found that moving to Lancaster allowed me to move away but not too far so that I can still pop back when I want to / have the free time.

In short, Lancaster is very different from Liverpool and much smaller but personally I prefer it here and when it comes down to it it’ll be a personal choice for you too.

I hope this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster physics graduate
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @student17!

I’m a little confused as to whether you’re asking if you should commute from Liverpool to Lancaster or if you’re asking for more of a comparison between the two. I’ll try and answer a bit of both but feel free to respond and correct me :smile:

I come from Merseyside myself but wouldn’t recommend commuting to Lancaster. It’s around an hour / hour and a half away but would eat up quite a bit of time each day. The uni will also help you sort accommodation if you come through clearing so that’s nothing to worry about. I’ve taken this extract from the clearing website “To reduce the stress of Clearing, we guarantee university owned, managed or approved accommodation for the first year of study if you are joining us through Clearing.”

Lancaster is for sure a smaller city than Liverpool but it’s about personal preference. I really like this aspect of Lancaster as it’s really easy to get around, and feels pretty safe. The uni is only a 10 / 15 min bus ride away from the town centre and because of its size it doesn’t take too long to get familiar with the area. Lancaster has one location of most of the big name retailers. We have the student essential Primark as well as Next, New Look etc. And of course there’s smaller shops as well. There’s plenty of bars, restaurants and cafes. Some of my favourite cafes are Diggles and Bob and Bert’s. We also now have a Nando’s that I haven’t checked out yet so that’s an exciting addition. We also have a few nightclubs including Sugar, the student Union owned club.

There’s also a few things to do in Lancaster some of my favourites being Williamson park, Vue cinema and the accessibility to the Lakes. The other month myself and a few uni mates went to Bowness-on-Windermere. It was only around 40 minutes away and was a great day out.

I decided to move out of my parents house to gain more independence and really enjoyed the experience of living on campus. I found that moving to Lancaster allowed me to move away but not too far so that I can still pop back when I want to / have the free time.

In short, Lancaster is very different from Liverpool and much smaller but personally I prefer it here and when it comes down to it it’ll be a personal choice for you too.

I hope this helps!

- Tineke

Thank you very much! If I move to lancaster I’ll stay at an accommodation :smile:
Thank you very much! If I move to lancaster I’ll stay at an accommodation :smile:

Ah great. In that case I’d recommend doing as much research as possible before results day so that you can make an informed decision. You could use the UniBuddy function on the Lancaster website to ask questions to a law student and have a look at the course webpage. If you have the means to you could also visit the Lancaster campus. There’s campus tours on Wednesdays and Saturdays that you can sign up to on the website or otherwise you can turn up and wander around yourself.

Let us know if there’s anything else you want to know :smile:

I hope this helps!

- Tineke

Hi @student17!

I am a recent law graduate from Lancaster so feel free to ask me if you want to know anything related to the course at Lancaster :smile:
Lily (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Which one would you say to go to ntu or Lancaster as I know Lancaster is considered higher on the league table and better prospects however ntu has a better nightlife and easier to travel too
Original post by Shannonfulford
Which one would you say to go to ntu or Lancaster as I know Lancaster is considered higher on the league table and better prospects however ntu has a better nightlife and easier to travel too

Hey @Shannonfulford

I've answered this question on your other thread! Feel free to ask any more questions!

Rebecca

Notts
Original post by LawStudent456
Notts

Why
Why

Lancaster is dead socially, Notts isn’t.
Original post by LawStudent456
Lancaster is dead socially, Notts isn’t.

Hey!
Lancaster town is pretty small and there isn't much to do other than bars and 3 clubs but the University itself makes up for it in my opinion.
Coming from Dubai, I was pretty disappointed with Lancaster town night life and the little amount of things to do around specially because places in the UK tend to close around 5pm. But living on campus with my friends and having fun around in flats and college bars really made up for it.
Because of the collegiate system there are bars in each college and give out drinks every night and have games like pool, table tennis, foosball, and holds loads of socials and parties on regular.
There are also flat gatherings and parties every other night and the University is pretty lit up with people on the weekends.

Overall I'd say after spending 1 year in the uni, I'm not as disappointed as I was in the beginning on the year, Infact I quite enjoyed it because after-all it doesn't matter what you do, it matters what kind of people you do it with :smile:
So definitely make loads of friends in uni and live it up!

Vyomika (Student Ambassador)

Nightlife vs actually going to a good uni with good graduate prospects(clear obvious choice).The fact ntu takes anyone that breathes is not a good look on the uni which reflects onto you and will limit you when applying for vacations schemes,trainee contracts etc.

Quick Reply

Latest