Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Someone on MSN keeps trying to hide from me, and is ignoring me whenever I try and start a chat. It's really getting on my nerves. I tend to think this person just prefers the others she chats to. She's always perfectly friendly and nice in group chats with me mind. It's most bizzare. She was the one who added me on MSN, and she used to initiate conversations- or at least not ignore me!

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. I haven't done anything or offended her, afterall. I really want to say something- but at the same time I don't wish to kick up a fuss over nothing. Especially since she has been lovely and helpful to me in the past.

The others still chat to me, so it's not like there is some general vendetta against me. It's just silly!

Shall I ignore her and just wait and see if she comes round or not?

It's upsetting me for some reason- I just don't think she has the best manners!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're just boring to talk to in a conversation?

Lol i don't mean that in a bad way, I have very close friends in real life that I have to block on MSN because their conversations are horribly boring - they're great people offline, but just really boring online.

And sometimes you just want to talk to some people and not others, surely you must have done that a few times before?

ReputationRep:
    Are there any reasons she would be ignoring you, and how can you be certain she actually is?
    There is a possibility that she may just be busy or finds MSN conversations awkward. I know I prefer talking to certain people online more than others, but that doesnt mean that I don't like the people I don't initiate chats with.

ReputationRep:
    I ignore everyone on msn apart from the people who I need to talk to at that particular time. Get over yourself woman.

ReputationRep:
    Are you certain that her apparent ignorance isn't actually unintentional?

For example, I quite often leave my computer, but neglect to change my status to 'Away', which may occasionally make it appear that I am ignoring contacts.

ReputationRep:
    Well, explain why the others still speak to me and she doesn't? If I'm so 'boring' wouldn't they stop too? In fact, the others actively contact me and add me to the convos pretty much everytime they're online.

Should explain also, we don't know eachother in RL beyond messenger and phone calls. We own a website and generally all of us get along fine.

I know she is intentionally ignoring me, because she logs on, I click to contact her, and get no reply.

There is no reason for her going 'off' me. I haven't done anything. She's all too willing to speak to me in groupchats, and friendly. She used to be willing to speak to me outside of groupchats too, and would speak to me for a long time.

And, personally, I don't ignore people who want to speak to me on MSN (even if I don't feel like talking) becuase I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.

Also, it's not like I contact her constantly. Only every once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    You're being a tiny bit needy, if she doesn't want to talk, allow.

ReputationRep:
    I ignore people all the time. But I guess I'm just a *******.

ReputationRep:
    If it is really bothering you ask her in person, she might have a valid reason.

Don't take too much offence if she just doesn't like the way you chit chat online though, my best friends can't seem to conjour a decent conversation on MSN and I tend to ignore them. Haha it sounds bad but they understand and don't really like talking online unless we are planning something etc.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be defensive, it was just putting forward an idea.

There's no way we could possibly know the reason, but usually it's one of the things people ahve mentioned above:

- She, for some reason, finds your convos boring
    - She might feel your convos are too long, meaning a big time commitment that she cant be bothered to get into
    - she may be busy
    - She may only be online to speak to a few or one person about something
    - She might get automatically logged in by her machine and not realise, or be away and forget to change her status

Just because you dont ignore people, don't assume other people live by your standards, the online world means it is very easy to escape talking to someone as you aren't face to face - it;s a fact of life unfortunately

Best thing to do is probably just leave it until you need to speak about something of relevance, for example. I personally hate little meaningless chats where the small talk is like a party where you turn up first... I save my chatty coversation for whan I'm talking to friends and getting a live reaction instead of a potentially fake one from an overused emoticon lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    You're being a tiny bit needy, if she doesn't want to talk, allow.
    Fair enough.

But you have to understand that there has been a very obvious change. She wasn't the type to ignore me before. It just seems odd.

Shoot me for being sensitive. It's just the way I am. I'm not needy, it's just that I like to know the reason behind such things. It bugs me.

ReputationRep:
    I often ignore people. If someone speaks to me and I'm not interested then I'll just leave it, or let them know I'm busy.

I'll always speak to my closest friends though, just in the event they might need something/some advice.

ReputationRep:
    So weird, she's just contacted me for the first time in ages. Is she reading these forums? How utterly scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Nightingale)
    So weird, she's just contacted me for the first time in ages. Is she reading these forums? How utterly scary!
    Oooohhhhh the mystery!

(Original post by The Nightingale)
    i AM the friend who's been ignoring you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i AM the friend who's been ignoring you!
    :troll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    :troll:
    Stop being daft, I was only having a laaaarf! why wouldn't I have just given my name if I were the friend? Duuuuuuhhh :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    You arent needy and I see where you're coming from. Initially, I thought that maybe she's just jealous of you? Some people are like that, if loads of mutual friends talk to you she might feel threatened especially if you're all close knit.

However, I'd like to mention that just because everyone else talks to you, it doesnt mean she has to as well; in the sense that everyone else might find you interesting but she may not.

Just have the confidence to know that if she doesnt want to talk to you, then it's her loss.

It's ok to be bothered about it initially, but don't keep on going on about it or investigating because then you're just going to turn into a clingy person and I'm sure you don't want that.

Just talk to the people the you want to talk to and the people that do reply to you and just have fun. Stop initiating the convo with her, she might thrive off the attention.

Sooner or later she'll come running back to you.

ReputationRep:
    jus dont say hello...?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she just goes from one friendship to another and picks the person who she thinks is best for her? Maybe she is one of those weird characters?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.