The Student Room Group

Panicking about funding

Hi! So I'm actually quite embarrassed to post this as I know I should have looked into this further... I'm due to start an MSc at Edinburgh Uni in September. I have worked incredibly hard to reach this point and I desperately don't want to lose my place. But I am really overwhelmed and panicking about funding.

I had naively assumed that because SAAS had funded everything for my undergraduate and were also funding my postgraduate that I wouldn't have to worry about the costs as such. It wasn't until yesterday that I realised there was a huge difference in the maximum tuition fees that SAAS pays and the cost of the course.

How on earth do people fund the difference? Has all my hard work been lost because I my stupidity?

I am disabled and receive ESA and PIP. I am a mature student (31) and also have a child. With this in mind, working alongside my masters will be near impossible. What can I do? How do others do it? Thank you in advance!
Your best bet is probably to see what if any bursaries etc the uni may offer themselves. Usually this is pretty limited for masters studies though.

Unfortunately masters funding is very restricted in most cases, and that's why a lot of people just aren't able to do one :frown: (this also tends to make them somewhat less competitive than undergraduate degrees or PhDs in similar subjects).
Original post by kjs2021
Hi! So I'm actually quite embarrassed to post this as I know I should have looked into this further... I'm due to start an MSc at Edinburgh Uni in September. I have worked incredibly hard to reach this point and I desperately don't want to lose my place. But I am really overwhelmed and panicking about funding.

I had naively assumed that because SAAS had funded everything for my undergraduate and were also funding my postgraduate that I wouldn't have to worry about the costs as such. It wasn't until yesterday that I realised there was a huge difference in the maximum tuition fees that SAAS pays and the cost of the course.

How on earth do people fund the difference? Has all my hard work been lost because I my stupidity?

I am disabled and receive ESA and PIP. I am a mature student (31) and also have a child. With this in mind, working alongside my masters will be near impossible. What can I do? How do others do it? Thank you in advance!

@kjs2021
It is not unusual to find yourself caught short financially before the start of a H.E course. You are best speaking to student services at the University - there will be someone with a title a bit like a 'H.E Support Officer' who can give guidance and they will likely liaise with the Finance Department. A lot of Universities have hidden bursaries - although they usually kick in from the first day of attendance

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending