The Student Room Group

Do postgrad students pay council tax in a house with professionals?

do postgrads have to pay council tax if they live in a house with professionals? I've heard that a house have to be full of students in order to be exempt of paying council tax or am i wrong? in the UK
Remember council tax is paid per property, not per person. So yes, to be exempt from paying council tax everyone in the house must be exempt. If you're sharing with others then there will be at least some council tax due. Whether you split that between everyone or just have the non-students pay it is up to your household to figure out.

Note that if there is only one person who would normally pay council tax and everyone else is exempt I think they can get a discount for it (the same as the single occupancy discount or something) but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Quick Reply