Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    So i can't register for courses until i arrive on campus in january, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good classes, profs, etc.?

oh, and if there are any courses to avoid (i.e. spitty professor, hard-to-understand-accent, too much homework, too competitive, etc...) please let me know that also...

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure how your course itself works.
    You say that you're coming over here to register on a course in January... but which course?
    In the UK, you'd register for a first year degree course in the subject you were interested in, sticking with that degree for three or four years. The degree is made up of a large number of modules on specific topics. For each degree, some modules are compulsory, some optional. In the first year, the vast majority of all modules are compulsory, with only a handful of options in most courses.

Presumably, given your current BSc, you're unlikely to be registering for Chemistry, Engineering or Maths... but I don't know how your studying abroad works with respect to courses that are available to you or what you're expected to do. Especially bearing in mind that you'll be arriving for the second term here, and many second term modules will lead straight on from first term ones.

If you aren't sure how your time in Warwick will be structured; please find out :s. We can't really assist you unless we have a clue what you're likely to be doing :p:

My best guess is that you'll be given a list of appropriate modules and be able to choose from them. Not a clue what that list is likely to include though

Here's the list of degrees offered by Warwick: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...ses/degreea2z/
    Perhaps EPAIS is the most similar? :s

Scratch most of the above. I stalked your past posts. Warwick Business School? Ewwwwwwww :p:
    I guess you need to look at the WBS website and module lists: http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/underg...-ibus-core.cfm

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    my "base" dept. is Warwick business school, but i can take classes from other departments if i want (according to my acceptance letter)
    so business-related classes....management, finance, marketing...
    i also wanna take an art class.

but i *think* im pretty flexible...

ReputationRep:
    *edited*

Hmm, the number of classes from other departments that you can take will depend on how much you have to do with WBS. There definitely aren't any Art Classes for credit! All the management and business stuff will be with WBS. Some finance modules might fall under Economics, and might be good to take.
    Lots of people take language modules for credit, but it might be too late to sign up for these.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, it might not be clear: you have a choice of taking modules from other departments. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of modules in all disciplines which run each year. I'd heartily recommend MA131, but it likely wouldn't appeal to you in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about the business side of things, and I'm not too sure about how your course works, but I'll just answer the question.

The best module I've taken was English Social History 1500-1700. The lecturer was really good, and it was a really interesting course. However, like most modules, it goes on for the whole year, not just spring/summer.

I did have one course that was just in the spring term last year, which was also really good, but you'd need to be able to read French, and I don't know if you can. It was 'In the Family Way: Birth Sex and Death in Seventeenth Century French Culture and Text'. It ranges from the writings of the royal midwife in the early 1600s, to plays by Racine and Corneille, to fairytales, to letters written from an extremely posessive mother to her daughter. You read the texts in French, but discuss and write about them in English. So yeah, if you can do French, I'd recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    Stochastic Analysis or Differential Geometry

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ the invasion of maths in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keziah)
    The best module I've taken was English Social History 1500-1700. The lecturer was really good, and it was a really interesting course. However, like most modules, it goes on for the whole year, not just spring/summer.
    I ran into Steve Hindle in the library on Monday actually; apparently he's barely there cos he's on sabbatical this year, which I thought was a hell of a shame for anyone doing ESH this year. Best tutor I've had at Warwick by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quinion)
    I ran into Steve Hindle in the library on Monday actually; apparently he's barely there cos he's on sabbatical this year, which I thought was a hell of a shame for anyone doing ESH this year. Best tutor I've had at Warwick by far.
    No Steve! :eek:

I didn't actually have him as a tutor, because there was a phd student who did half of the seminars this year. But Steve's lectures are really good. Absolutely destroyed my arm, usually, because he says sooo much, and I'd end up writing 8 sides of notes in an hour!

I did have the best tutor for comedy value, but not for content, for the European World. Humfrey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    lol @ me thinking there were no females at warwick
    Why would you think that in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    lol @ me thinking there were no females at warwick
    Yeah, it's about 50:50, in fact there are probably more girls (but that's probably my eyes playing tricks :p: ). It's not like Imperial if that's what you mean...
    Even my course, which is very quantitative-- something not usually associated with females-- is about 50:50.

ReputationRep:
    @ Keziah: lol Humfrey Butters is a legend! apparently he was sleeping in this office for half of last year because it will too far to commute.

ReputationRep:
    The history module The Politics of Protest with Gerd Rainer Horn, the man is a LEGEND. It's such personal history which makes a change from the sweeping nature of some history modules.

ReputationRep:
    Steven Jarvis. CS118.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalNumber)
    Steven Jarvis. CS118.
    QFT. just dont sleep in his lectures, ever :|

ReputationRep:
    if you wanna shoot yourself in the head, take econometrics 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keziah)
    However, like most modules, it goes on for the whole year, not just spring/summer.
    Not at all, many wbs modules are half weight (ie 12 cats) and these run through a single term. However, the OP will only have a choice of modules running next term, so to say she can chose any from the lists is wrong, some will be full year, some will have been done in the first term. Best bet is to contact WBS and ask them!! Considering non of us really know how it works are are just guessing on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what year you're entering. In terms of the Business School: Martin Corbett is a legend, but whether he has any modules running next term I couldn't tell you. Peter Corvi is meant to be a good lecturer, and is lecturing 'Financial Management' next term, so that may be worth a gander.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarfairy)
    QFT. just dont sleep in his lectures, ever :|
    What does he do, eh? It happen to you? :shifty:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.