Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How does it work when applying for a joint degree (for example in my case English and History)? Is my application evaluated by an English admissions tutor and a History admissions tutor, or an English & History admissions tutor? Is it harder to get in if you apply for a joint degree?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Computer Science and Maths at Lancaster.. two days ago I got a letter from the maths dept. inviting me to a maths open day, and they said they're making me an offer (didn't say what it is). I was slightly surprised when the letter was headed by Maths, and not the Comp Sci dept.

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you apply but at most Universities it will be okayed by both departments admissions tutors. There are some cases where the 'home' department deals with the admissions for dual honours too in English and History degrees this is usually the English department.

Its not harder to get in, probably around the same but for some courses the demand can be higher as obviously there may be less dual honours spaces.

ReputationRep:
    So, in general that means I compete with those applying for single degrees in English and History as well?

How popular is the English & History joint degree? mollymustard, I see that you're an English & History student! What's it like?

ReputationRep:
    Basically, if you imagine an English department has 200 places a year then 100 will be assigned to single students and 100 might be assigned to dual honours. This can be a mixture of any combination such as English and History, English and Philosophy, English and Linguistics etc so you will not just be in competition with pure English and History students but a wide combination of people. This can work in your favour, but it can also make it quite competative.

As for the English and History degree, I'm really enjoying it. Its a great balance here and obviously I can't really say much about other courses but mine seems really broad and intresting. Its a bit strange in the fact its quite different to A Level but its a learning curve.
    The only negative so far is the fact that my modules so far have been quite unrelated between departments, and I've had a few essay clashes as both English and History depts at Sheffield tend to set work at the same time.
    When you are in two departments there tends to be a slight lack of communication between boths so there is an element of just getting on with it yourself as far as I can see.

ReputationRep:
    How would that work in my favour?

Ah, yes, I've heard many studying a joint degree complain about the lack of communication. I do hope you don't have lecture clashes though!?

ReputationRep:
    No lecture clashes are quite rare to be honest so thats not really a problem.

It can work in your favour in the fact say English and History require ABB and then English and Lingusitics standard offer is BBB you are obviously going to be favoured by the home department more seeing as you offer higher predicted grades etc.
    But this can often depend on the way Unis allocate places in regardes to dual honors anyway. If they have a certain number of places for dual honours Eng and History in mind already then it may not work in your favour at all.

I hope this makes sense but its quite hard to explain...

ReputationRep:
    Phew, that's a relief... Lecture clashes would mean a living hell, obviously. As long as there's none of that, I'm fine with essay clashes and so on.

I'm actually interested in English literature :-) It seems like Eng lit & His is a very popular joint degree? At least I've read that Eng lit is extreeemely popular all over the country. And I don't have UK grades, by the way.. So that's a side question for others who know... How the heck do the admissions tutors evaluate foreign grades..?

It does make sense, and I appreciate you taking your time to explain!

ReputationRep:
    Oh good, its very confusing this whole admissions procedure rubbish!

English and History is usually the most popular dual degree within Literature departments along with English Lit and Language, English and Linguistics.
    English Lit usually gets lots of applications with History getting slightly less so. But yes, as duals go these days you pretty much need the standard grades to get an offer.

I'm not really sure how admissions tutors weigh up foreign grades but usually it is a case of the same person assessing the home and away grades so they will have to balance them out. As far as I'm aware they usually look for equivalent grades in the foreign students provided the applicants shows sound knowledge of the English language in one form or another.
    Out of intrest where are you applying from? And what Uni's have you looked at?

ReputationRep:
    And what are the standard grades? Or can I just look 'em up on the universities' websites?

I'm generally confused by UK evaluation of grades when applying to university... Am I correct when saying that they only look at relevant subjects..? If you apply for English lit, they mainly look at English grades and such?

I'm applying from the vast woods of Sweden... :-P I always had an obsession with Scotland, so I've only applied to various Scottish universities. Maybe it's a bad idea..
    When you apply to uni in Sweden, you have like a GPA from all three "high school" years, and that's basically what you're working with. So, even though you have excellent grades in, say, english and history and other similar subjects, but get so-so grades in maths, physics, biology, etc, it will obviously lower your GPA. Which sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the minimum entry requirements for a UK university are for an international student applying with Swedish "high school" grades? Plus, do they also look at university courses? I have taken/am taking two university courses in Sweden (one of them I'm still taking, with results coming in in December/January). And do they look at grades for specific subjects for us as well? If I want to study English, do my English grades weigh more than other ones? Confuuuused...! Help me!

ReputationRep:
    There are no standard grades as such, but UCAS course search and the Universities websites will tell you all you need to know.

Uni's do mainly look at relevant subjects grades but they look at averages and that too to judge what sort of all rounder you are and whether you apply yourself etc.

Although you like the look of scottish Uni's it might be a good idea to look around a bit too. Edinburgh and St Andrews are notoriously hard to get into, and some of the others may not meet your academic requirments. Englands not all bad you know!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thanks for all the help, mollymustard! Yeah, I've taken a look at English and Welsh unis as well, and I think I'll make a nice mix out of it. I'm not sure how much I should look at the league tables for the respective subjects, but I've been looking a lot at The Independent's info about this, The Guardian as well. I hope I'll make the right decision... I'm mainly looking for universities that have at least decent English (lit) degrees.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.