The Student Room Group

Kent and Medway Medical School A100 2023 entry

Welcome to the Kent and Medway Medical School A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

KMMS A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7080375

For general information click: https://kmms.ac.uk/study/

For entry requirements click: https://kmms.ac.uk/entry-requirements-2023/

Offer holders thread for KMMS 2023 is here

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you guys think the UCAT cut-off is likely to increase?

Also if I go to an outstanding state school/6th form but I am a contextual applicant who meets multiple criteria is it safe to apply? I have good GCSES but my UCAT was last years cut-off at 2470.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Sami Sami
Do you guys think the UCAT cut-off is likely to increase?

Also if I go to an outstanding state school/6th form but I am a contextual applicant who meets multiple criteria is it safe to apply? I have good GCSES but my UCAT was last years cut-off at 2470.

KMMS will contextualise your grades to your school, where data exists, so if you perform better than the rest of your year, you will score more highly than those who perform less well or the same, so it depends how you did compared to your peers.
And 2470 was not the cut off, it was the threshold; score lower and you are automatically rejected, but above that, people are still ranked competitively, and many higher scores than this were rejected last year
Original post by GANFYD
KMMS will contextualise your grades to your school, where data exists, so if you perform better than the rest of your year, you will score more highly than those who perform less well or the same, so it depends how you did compared to your peers.
And 2470 was not the cut off, it was the threshold; score lower and you are automatically rejected, but above that, people are still ranked competitively, and many higher scores than this were rejected last year

Thanks for the reply. Would you advise an application? I believe I would be a strong candidate for everything other than the UCAT. Do you know if they put a big emphasis on UCAT?
Reply 5
Original post by Sami Sami
Thanks for the reply. Would you advise an application? I believe I would be a strong candidate for everything other than the UCAT. Do you know if they put a big emphasis on UCAT?

They do not say how they shortlist, but it appears to be some form of multiplier applied to your UCAT that is based on GCSE (for you) performance contextualised. So, I am theorising, they look at your GCSE and give them a score where eg 1 would be average, based on your school's performance and your performance within your school, so a low performing school where somebody got 6 x 8/9s and 3 x 7s would score more than a high performing school where somebody got 10. 8/9s. So you end up with a multiplier that either increases or reduces your UCAT.
But that is pretty much guesswork, looking at who was rejected and given interviews in pervious years - it all depends on your school's performance and how you did compared to your classmates. Have a read through the last couple of years' threads to see what type of scores get interviews, but it seems pretty random, and they have not said how they work it out. For this reason, I would steer clear unless I went to a poor performing school, still did reasonably well at GCSE and have a high UCAT.
However, those with lower UCATs do not have many choices this year, so it may be a case of "least bad" rather than which are good
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by GANFYD
They do not say how they shortlist, but it appears to be some form of multiplier applied to your UCAT that is based on GCSE (for you) performance contextualised. So, I am theorising, they look at your GCSE and give them a score out of 1, based on your school's performance and your performance within your school, so a low performing school where somebody got 6 x 8/9s and 3 x 7s would score more than a high performing school where somebody got 10. 8/9s. So you end up with a multiplier that either increases or reduces your UCAT.
Bit that is pretty much guesswork, looking at who was rejected and given interviews in pervious years - it all depends on your school's performance and how you did compared to your classmates. Have a read through the last couple of years' threads to see what type of scores get interviews, but it seems pretty random, and they have not said how they work it out. For this reason, I would steer clear unless I went to a poor performing school, still did reasonably well at GCSE and have a high UCAT.
However, those with lower UCATs do not have many choices this year, so it may be a case of "least bad" rather than which are good

Thank you so much! :biggrin:
Does anyone else besides KMMS contextualise GCSE’s within the school attended ?
Reply 8
Original post by HopefulHarry
Does anyone else besides KMMS contextualise GCSE’s within the school attended ?

Not to my knowledge, though several contextualise them for your school's performance
Original post by GANFYD
Not to my knowledge, though several contextualise them for your school's performance

How does that work ? Thks
Original post by HopefulHarry
How does that work ? Thks

They alter requirements, lower cut offs or add points to your score if your GCSEs are obtained at a poorly performing school, eg Kings scores 7s the same as 8/9s if contextual school is attended, Cardiff accepts a lower cut off, Birmingham adds points to your score
I have been looking at the KMMS website and it says this:

KMMS introduced the concept of contextualising all applicants in groups A and B in our first admissions cycle. The underlying concept is to consider academic attainment relative to the average for the applicant’s school, at A level/IB, which is the senior achieved qualification for group B applicants.

So does this mean that only are A-levels are contextualized or our GCSEs as well, because I will be applying with achieved a-levels (group B) and i think that i might be able to get an interview at KMMS. Also does anyone know the cut off for 2022 entry for KMMS as it only states there 2021 cut off which was 2470 and above and band 3 and above which is the threshold.
hello why do you think ucat cutoffs will be the same/decrease slightly?
Reply 13
Hi,
I am planning on applying to kent and medway but I researched that they contextualise GCSE grades. My previous school that I went to before moving to a grammar school has Attainment 8 Score: 53.33 and Progress 8: 0.62. My GCSEs are 9999998888.
Could someone please tell me if I have a chance. I have a UCAT score of 2640 b3. Predicted A*A*A*A
Hello, please do I have a chance as a graduate applicant with UCAT 2620 b3? Thank you
I'm post A levels (gap year) and belong to group B (https://kmms.ac.uk/entry-requirements-2023/ according to the KMMS website)
What was the cutoff for last year for the UCAT? How will I be ranked?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 16
Hi, does anyone know anything about their MMI's? Apparently they're quite hard? Are they online this year? Also, do they favour post-grads? Thank you sm:smile:
What are the chances of me getting an interview with 2850 b1 + I'm in a gap year.
Are there less places for gap year students?
Does anyone know how they choose to give out offers? Is it just based on interview performance??
Hello everyone, :smile:

As you may have noticed, this thread owner is @TSR George - an account used by TSR for several purposes including as a placeholder when a thread owner wishes to delete their account.

If you would like to be the new first post in this thread - you can!
To do this, please tag @04MR17 or @StrawberryDreams in this thread and ask for the OP to be changed to you.
Please do this if you would like to add additional resources into the OP and intend to stay around on the forums during the application cycle.

The owner of a thread will only be changed once - except if an OP deletes their account.

Please allow 48 hours for your request to be seen and actioned. This message will be posted into each of the 2023 applicants threads currently owned by TSR George.

Thanks all,

MR

Quick Reply

Latest