Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help?
    does anyone have chemistry coursework to do for A2 a titration to find out how much iron (ii) and iron (iii) there is in a solution. im supposed 2 research on it but i can find any thing on the internet. does any one know any good sites?? please help!!

ReputationRep:
    can't help you with any good sites, but look for stuff about complex ions and EDTA.

ReputationRep:
    complexometric (complexiometric -depending on source) titrations are the way forward lol

potassium manganate (vii) titration can determine iron (ii) content:

MnO4- + 8H+ + 5Fe2+ --> Mn2+ +4H2O + 5Fe3+

and complexometric titration with EDTA can determine iron (iii) content:

Fe3+ + H4Y --> FeY- + 4H+

(where Y is EDTA4- ion)

(i did this coursework...used books for reference)

ReputationRep:
    thanks that should help alot

ReputationRep:
    What would be a suitable indicator?And what would be in your buffer solution?

Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    and whay all this convoluted back titration anyway? Why are you unbale just to say titrate the cl2 directly ?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    What is the original solution made of? Is it a mixture of two iron salts only? Do you have the total mass of the solute? What other information are you given?

ReputationRep:
    It is a back titration experiment ( i assume mine and sarsh's is the same cwrk).

Have to find the conc of aqueous chlorine solution.

React solution with reducing agent (Fe(II)) then determine the amount of reducing agent left over by titration.

So is it a titration of fe(III) from

Cl2 + Fe2+ -> 2Cl- + Fe3+

or a titration of fe(II) that would be left over?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    If you are determining chlorine solution I would do it with XS KI solution and titrate the liberated iodine using standard sodium thiosulphate with starch indicator

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.