The Student Room Group

How to stop wanting a partner

I’m a 25yo woman. I feel really lonely. When I see couples and the guy is someone I find attractive I get really depressed about it and even jealous. I’m relatively pretty, I get mixed interest from guys. Not super hot ones though so I guess I’m average.

I have my hobbies and decent relations with my family. A good job. I don’t have time to meet people but use apps to get a date every now and then.

But emotionally I don’t know how to stop really wanting a relationship. I want to be in a serious relationship and live with someone and live my life: have fun evenings and holidays with someone. Be affectionate.

How can I stop wanting this and just ‘letting it happen’

Cause it feels like it never will. All my previous ones are lqtionships were with someone I met online basically.

Scroll to see replies

I'm in a very similar situation, I've never been in a relationship and at this point I've accepted I'll probably never be in one. And yeah I also find it depressing to see couples going around, which just makes me want to spend even less time in any busy areas (which I already spend barely any time in). There's no real solution apart from just, not thinking you can change something. Which I know sounds a lot simpler than it actually is, but that really all there is to it. I know I can't do much on my end to maybe finally be in a relationship so I know I shouldn't complain or worry about something I don't have much of an effect on.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a 25yo woman. I feel really lonely. When I see couples and the guy is someone I find attractive I get really depressed about it and even jealous. I’m relatively pretty, I get mixed interest from guys. Not super hot ones though so I guess I’m average.

I want to be in a serious relationship and live with someone and live my life: have fun evenings and holidays with someone. Be affectionate.

I don't know if that first part is shallow or insecure; you want attention from super hot guys or you're not validated? Look around you and see that not all happy couples are model material. Attractiveness is the whole package and personality is what's important. However, if you're not content in yourself, how will having a partner change that? Because you're thinking of all the fun part, which is the rose-tinted Hollywood view of a relationship. There's more to it, like sorting out the finances, double the household chores like laundry, shopping, cooking, cleaning etc, looking after a partner who is ill.
Reply 3
I think these are normal feelings, what’s wrong with wanting a partner. Everyone has play the hand they have to the best of their ability, dating is tough, but with a bit of patience and tenacity you find someone good. I have found meeting people social much more rewarding than online dating. The later makes job hunting a relatively enjoyable experience by comparison.

I have my hobbies and decent relations with my family. A good job. I don’t have time to meet people but use apps to get a date every now and then.

But emotionally I don’t know how to stop really wanting a relationship. I want to be in a serious relationship and live with someone and live my life: have fun evenings and holidays with someone. Be affectionate.

How can I stop wanting this and just ‘letting it happen’

Cause it feels like it never will. All my previous ones are lqtionships were with someone I met online basically.

It is wrong to fight your natural desires to be in a secure relationship. It is fine to want a stable union with someone that you love, admire and respect.

I think your major problem is that you are too ambitious in your tastes. You want the super hot guys and probably reject those guys who you think are average. I’d suggest that you go for a guy that you find attractive even though he is not super hot.

Ask yourself whether the super hot guys that you want also want you back. If the answer is no, then you have to manage your expectations and standards. Don't be delusional. Good luck
I'm in a very similar situation, I've never been in a relationship and at this point I've accepted I'll probably never be in one. And yeah I also find it depressing to see couples going around, which just makes me want to spend even less time in any busy areas (which I already spend barely any time in). There's no real solution apart from just, not thinking you can change something. Which I know sounds a lot simpler than it actually is, but that really all there is to it. I know I can't do much on my end to maybe finally be in a relationship so I know I shouldn't complain or worry about something I don't have much of an effect on.

I don't really know you but I would doubt that there are no lads who fancy you. I think you are probably picky and want the types of guys that you cannot get. Also maybe you should put yourself out there by speaking to people and being more friendly (if you are not doing it already).
Original post by Surnia
I don't know if that first part is shallow or insecure; you want attention from super hot guys or you're not validated? Look around you and see that not all happy couples are model material. Attractiveness is the whole package and personality is what's important. However, if you're not content in yourself, how will having a partner change that? Because you're thinking of all the fun part, which is the rose-tinted Hollywood view of a relationship. There's more to it, like sorting out the finances, double the household chores like laundry, shopping, cooking, cleaning etc, looking after a partner who is ill.

It's more that i've never had that before, whereas i have done the whole sorting finances, household chores, etc. With someone i was not attracted enough too. I'm recovering from some mental health issues and maybe I'm going shallow now because i don't have the emotional capacity to get tangled in something that isn't good for me. A healthy relationship which makes your life better not more complicated seems very rare. I am insecure but not shallow.
Original post by Wired_1800
It is wrong to fight your natural desires to be in a secure relationship. It is fine to want a stable union with someone that you love, admire and respect.

I think your major problem is that you are too ambitious in your tastes. You want the super hot guys and probably reject those guys who you think are average. I’d suggest that you go for a guy that you find attractive even though he is not super hot.

Ask yourself whether the super hot guys that you want also want you back. If the answer is no, then you have to manage your expectations and standards. Don't be delusional. Good luck

Realistically i know a super hot guy would be with me for a hookup not more, I'm okay with that i feel like i just want to experience these things. I'm also aware i have to become a lot more attractive to be of interest to these guys but I'm not motivated enough to do that so I'm dropping my expectations now. I do think its realistic to want someone who is on the same level of attractiveness as you eg someone who is similarly fit, hygienic, etc.
Original post by Zarek
I think these are normal feelings, what’s wrong with wanting a partner. Everyone has play the hand they have to the best of their ability, dating is tough, but with a bit of patience and tenacity you find someone good. I have found meeting people social much more rewarding than online dating. The later makes job hunting a relatively enjoyable experience by comparison.

how do you usually meet people (offline)? what do you mean by job hunting
Realistically i know a super hot guy would be with me for a hookup not more, I'm okay with that i feel like i just want to experience these things. I'm also aware i have to become a lot more attractive to be of interest to these guys but I'm not motivated enough to do that so I'm dropping my expectations now. I do think its realistic to want someone who is on the same level of attractiveness as you eg someone who is similarly fit, hygienic, etc.

You want to experience being used and dropped by a ‘super hot guy’? That’s a different level…

You can want what you want but you have to be realistic if the guys don't want you back.

You should rate yourself from 1 to 10 and you cannot use 7. Good luck
Reply 10
how do you usually meet people (offline)? what do you mean by job hunting

Work, friends of friends, going to a decent pub where singles hang out have been the best for me. I was being flippant, I hated online dating and would sooner go for a job interview, where I feel more competent and valued whatever the outcome :smile:
just take what u can get
I don't really know you but I would doubt that there are no lads who fancy you. I think you are probably picky and want the types of guys that you cannot get. Also maybe you should put yourself out there by speaking to people and being more friendly (if you are not doing it already).

Not picky at all, I just don't talk to anyone lol.
Not picky at all, I just don't talk to anyone lol.

You have to talk to people.
You want to experience being used and dropped by a ‘super hot guy’? That’s a different level…

You can want what you want but you have to be realistic if the guys don't want you back.

You should rate yourself from 1 to 10 and you cannot use 7. Good luck

Why not 7… cause I’d say 7
Why not 7… cause I’d say 7

Yeah, some people tend to say 7 because if is a safe number.

Girls rated 8 to 9.5 are like Charli D'Amelio, Aishwarya Rai. Kelly Rowland, Brett Cooper, Margot Robbie, Bella Hadid, Gal Gadot, Genevieve Nnaji, Scarlett Johansson, Kate Middleton etc.

There is nobody who is rated 10/10.
Yeah, some people tend to say 7 because if is a safe number.

Girls rated 8 to 9.5 are like Charli D'Amelio, Aishwarya Rai. Kelly Rowland, Brett Cooper, Margot Robbie, Bella Hadid, Gal Gadot, Genevieve Nnaji, Scarlett Johansson, Kate Middleton etc.

There is nobody who is rated 10/10.

Rubbish! Who.is rating these women and what's the criteria? Why can't someone be a 10? My boyfriend thinks I'm amazing and gorgeous, and that's great.
I am insecure but not shallow.

So why doesn't getting attention from so-called 'super hot guys' bother you so much? Wouldn't you prefer someone who loves, cares for and respects you? Look up Katie Piper and Simon Weston...
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Surnia
Rubbish! Who.is rating these women and what's the criteria? Why can't someone be a 10? My boyfriend thinks I'm amazing and gorgeous, and that's great.

Rubbish!
ok

Who.is rating these women and what's the criteria?
Men generally rate women though some ratings could be subjective. However, there are people who are rated more highly by more people than average.

Why can't someone be a 10?
10/10 is perfection. Nobody is perfect.

My boyfriend thinks I'm amazing and gorgeous, and that's great.
I’m happy for you.
Rubbish!
ok

Who.is rating these women and what's the criteria?
Men generally rate women though some ratings could be subjective. However, there are people who are rated more highly by more people than average.

Why can't someone be a 10?
10/10 is perfection. Nobody is perfect.

My boyfriend thinks I'm amazing and gorgeous, and that's great.
I’m happy for you.

Rated more highly for what, though? Why gave these women you've listed got those scores?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending