The Student Room Group

postgrads living with undergrads

I am a postgrad currently looking for houses. This time round, I'm trying to find a more quiet place and therefore, been searching for houses with other postgrads or phd students. however, it is kinda difficult. what would it be like for a postgrad to live with undergrads if anyone has had experiences?
This is really difficult to answer, as no matter someone's age and uni status, you can never predict what someone will be like (quiet, loud, adventurous etc).

In my experience this has been mixed. One person was relaxed and quiet, whilst the other was more outgoing. It's really a roll of the dice.

You could always look at websites such as spare room, sometimes people who live there upload a brief description of themselves to help give you a better understanding of them
Original post by liamalaing
This is really difficult to answer, as no matter someone's age and uni status, you can never predict what someone will be like (quiet, loud, adventurous etc).

In my experience this has been mixed. One person was relaxed and quiet, whilst the other was more outgoing. It's really a roll of the dice.

You could always look at websites such as spare room, sometimes people who live there upload a brief description of themselves to help give you a better understanding of them

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, I guess I can't really know. I found a house and in the description, it is aimed at postgrads and phd students but there is someone who is already living there and is in their second year. in the 3 previous houses ive lived in, majority is very outgoing and doesn't really suit me as i'm quite introverted.
Original post by Swasher3790
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, I guess I can't really know. I found a house and in the description, it is aimed at postgrads and phd students but there is someone who is already living there and is in their second year. in the 3 previous houses ive lived in, majority is very outgoing and doesn't really suit me as i'm quite introverted.

Typically, post grads are more focused on their work, as they've been through the standard uni life phase.

Most of the time it turns out fine. Hopefully.yoi settle into somewhere that's good for you
I am a postgrad currently looking for houses. This time round, I'm trying to find a more quiet place and therefore, been searching for houses with other postgrads or phd students. however, it is kinda difficult. what would it be like for a postgrad to live with undergrads if anyone has had experiences?

Hello @Swasher3790,

I am 22 years old post grad Indian female joining Oxford in End September 2022. Owing to both, my inherent nature and the pressure of my master's degree, I also prefer quiet. I have found a two bedroom flat for 2 sharers at Demesne Furze near Little Oxford (Old Oxford Campus) which is away from hustle bustle of Oxford center. Please convey if you're open to sharing flat with me.

Hi there 😊

I go to a postgraduate-only university, which made finding postgrad-only housing very easy :biggrin: I’ve had a lot of housemates in the past 2 years, so maybe I can weigh in on this.

I lived on campus first. This was also during lockdown, so naturally things were quieter. I shared a kitchen with 5 other rooms, but actually 2-3 were almost always unoccupied (because people chose to attend online lectures from home rather than staying in halls). Having said that, the others sharing the kitchen were really clean, considerate with noise (e.g. cooking late, etc) and friendly. There were some gatherings, but not as bad as what I have seen undergrad halls become.
However, we did have someone come into our block of 6 for just one month that was a disaster. I am doing a PhD and know many academics/postdocs, and believe me they exist at every single level. Thankfully because the 3 of us who where there consistently before that valued cleanliness, we sat him down and could present a united front. Unfortunately, some people have managed to well into adulthood without knowing how to use a sponge and fairy liquid… But having a group to not feel so alone in complaining did help.

I later moved into shared off campus accommodation (which gave me a greater work/life separation, and was a bit cheaper). We had considerably fewer parties than undergrads might have, however that actually wasn’t true of the tenants before I moved in (at least if the landlord is to be believed). But the same thing can happen as did on campus, one bad apple and all that.

I’m moving into a studio next year, mainly because rent increases meant that a shared house became a very similar price to the studios, so why not! It’s the only way to guarantee no bad housemates, although they tend to be leased very quickly and more competitive. I will definitely miss living with one of my closest friends, but at the same time think (or hope) it will force me to focus a bit more on my thesis!

Another option many people in Cranfield (which is postgrad-only) choose is living in a ‘working professionals’ house. It depends on whether the landlord accepts that a PhD or an MSc is a ‘job’ (which is a conversation I’ve had too many times with various relatives!). You’ll probably have to pay council tax (as students are exempt, but when landlords don’t have at least 50% students living there it’s a very small deduction I believe). But it might be worth it! Again, you might get a bad apple, but the chances are the others in that house will be able to band together to set out reasonable ground rules (e.g. cleaning up after yourself, no midweek parties, no noise after an agreed time).

So overall the message is that living with people means you can’t guarantee anything, but postgrads overall are a bit better than undergrads due to (hopefully!) some more life experience! Working professionals might give you an even better shot at peace and quiet. You should also speak to any prospective landlords about your needs and expectations, as many places will have clauses in the lease about guests, noise, and possibly even house rules. You could ask your landlord how you should deal with any of these clauses being broken in advance of signing a lease.

Good luck finding a nice home for your degree!
Ciara
2nd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply