Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackem85)
    Just to clear this one up, in the store I worked at you had to remember the codes for fruit and veg, and the specials that arrived each week. You get given a list to remember. The codes arent long, and you do have a sheet in case you forget.

Prior to total electronic systems being introduced you did have to remember the prices of everything, but from the stores I worked in this was no longer the case. Just the numbers above as I mentioned.
    yeah I've already been told I was wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigovioletred)
    That's quite depressing. I've got an interview for their grad training scheme next week, and I've heard so much stuff like this that it's rather starting to put me off! Mind you, for 40K starting salary + company car, I suppose you kind of expect to be working ungodly hours! If you don't mind me asking, from what you've said about working there - would you say that it wasn't a particularly friendly/enjoyable place to work?
    Hi

Did you get the job? If so whats it really like???

I am interested in applying but it would help if you could give me more information on it. So far every post I have read regarding the scheme seems like another horror story! Is it really that bad? Is it not worth the 40k + Car???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaa197)
    Hi

Did you get the job? If so whats it really like???

I am interested in applying but it would help if you could give me more information on it. So far every post I have read regarding the scheme seems like another horror story! Is it really that bad? Is it not worth the 40k + Car???
    Hi, I've literally just returned from the interview (which was rescheduled from last week to today) It was quite intense, but interesting, lots of group work etc. They're incredibly quick at getting back to you - we've been told that we'll know by Friday if we get through to the second round of interviews (which I doubt I will) and then within three days of the second interview you're rejected or given a job offer.
    The guy running it (managing director for the area) was very nice, as were most of the rest of the candidates... although there were some INSANELY annoying people there. I can't really tell yet what the job will really be like - certain very tough and long hours etc from what we were told today. They also have a 40% drop out/get kicked out rate from the programme (apparently the majority of these people drop out, and those that are made to leave generally leave on good terms, after the managing director decides that they're not right for the role.)

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. One of my mates works there and is really happy with his payment. Wouldn't stay there for the rest of your life though, personally..

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've literally just returned from the interview (which was rescheduled from last week to today) It was quite intense, but interesting, lots of group work etc. They're incredibly quick at getting back to you - we've been told that we'll know by Friday if we get through to the second round of interviews (which I doubt I will) and then within three days of the second interview you're rejected or given a job offer.
    The guy running it (managing director for the area) was very nice, as were most of the rest of the candidates... although there were some INSANELY annoying people there. I can't really tell yet what the job will really be like - certain very tough and long hours etc from what we were told today. They also have a 40% drop out/get kicked out rate from the programme (apparently the majority of these people drop out, and those that are made to leave generally leave on good terms, after the managing director decides that they're not right for the role.)
    Thanks for the reply, did they give you any information on how the location works? Do you stay at the same location or are you moved around? If so do you move to different areas or stay within the same area?

What kind of degree/experience did the candidates have and what kind of things did you put in the covering letter?

Sorry for all the questions but I am very interested in the position despite all the negativity around it and want to know as much as possible before applying.

Good luck in getting through to second interview.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, did they give you any information on how the location works? Do you stay at the same location or are you moved around? If so do you move to different areas or stay within the same area?

What kind of degree/experience did the candidates have and what kind of things did you put in the covering letter?

Sorry for all the questions but I am very interested in the position despite all the negativity around it and want to know as much as possible before applying.

Good luck in getting through to second interview.
    Don't worry about asking questions, I 'm happy to try an answer what I can. In terms of subjects, there were ten of us there, from a mix of unis. 8 had economics/business/management type degrees, one had law, and me (science!) so i felt a little bit out of it. About half of the people there were still at uni, the others had been working in business for a couple of years.

The area thing is complicated. You pick a region to train in - in my case it was the Swindon region, but that's basically everywhere from south wales to cornwall, in the western half of the country. During your training you can be moved about in this region a lot, and may have to go for some training in different areas. They provide you with hotels, but I got the feeling that a lot of the people who dropped out had been uncomfortable living away from home/boyfriends/girlfriends for months at a time. When your training is complete, you will be given an area with 3-4 stores in to manage - this could be anywhere in the whole of the region. After about 5 years, when you would be expecting your next promotion, you can be relocated anywhere in the country (there is some element of choice, but by the sound of it, the people who'd got that far into their aldi career were so committed that they were quite happy to move to the other side of the country.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbi_louise_whey)
    Go for it. One of my mates works there and is really happy with his payment. Wouldn't stay there for the rest of your life though, personally..
    Hi

Nice to hear a positive response, do you know what kind of things you’re mate does on a day-to-day basis?

Would really appreciate any other information you have on the job.

Did plan to work in finance, ideally an IB but the current situation means that I will have to put that on the back burner for a while and possibly work for Aldi until the market recovers (not holding my breath).

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about asking questions, I 'm happy to try an answer what I can. In terms of subjects, there were ten of us there, from a mix of unis. 8 had economics/business/management type degrees, one had law, and me (science!) so i felt a little bit out of it. About half of the people there were still at uni, the others had been working in business for a couple of years.

The area thing is complicated. You pick a region to train in - in my case it was the Swindon region, but that's basically everywhere from south wales to cornwall, in the western half of the country. During your training you can be moved about in this region a lot, and may have to go for some training in different areas. They provide you with hotels, but I got the feeling that a lot of the people who dropped out had been uncomfortable living away from home/boyfriends/girlfriends for months at a time. When your training is complete, you will be given an area with 3-4 stores in to manage - this could be anywhere in the whole of the region. After about 5 years, when you would be expecting your next promotion, you can be relocated anywhere in the country (there is some element of choice, but by the sound of it, the people who'd got that far into their aldi career were so committed that they were quite happy to move to the other side of the country.)
    Ok so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect now.

Can you give me any advise on what kind of things to add to the covering letter and what was involved in your interview?

Was considering applying to the Swindon area but didn’t realise it extended that far! Will probably apply to Chelmsford, as it is closer to London. Any idea how far this area extends?

ReputationRep:
    Ive tried applying to my local one for a few times but i have never heard from them, id like to work for aldi but i always wonder why do they advertise a vacancies in store if they need people??? :confused:

Does anyone have suggestions what is the best solution to apply??

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect now.

Can you give me any advise on what kind of things to add to the covering letter and what was involved in your interview?

Was considering applying to the Swindon area but didn’t realise it extended that far! Will probably apply to Chelmsford, as it is closer to London. Any idea how far this area extends?
    The interview involved team work exercises, group discussions on economics/politics etc. Oh and tests. 4 tests in 20 minutes. A fairly straight-forward personality one, two verbal and one numerical reasoning test. They're the usual kind of psychometric tests that companies give, so you could get some practice books which may help - but I personally don't have much faith in those, I think they're either something you're good at, or you're not. The time limit is far too short to finish the paper in, so it's also about being able to carefully select which questions to attempt.
    They also do a long Q&A session with the MD of the region, which is really helpful. He was very honest about the workload and the high dropout rate, and it's probably a good opportunity to find out if you genuinely want to work there, or if you're just being attracted by the 40K.

Not sure about the regions, you could probably email them and find out. I would imagine it will be the whole South-east region though, so probably pretty big.

With regards to the covering letter - I got the feeling that they interviewed most people who applied, so perhaps not an amazingly important part of your application. Just stress your interest in being a manager, and explain how you demonstrate the qualities that Aldi are looking for (all of which are detailed on their website if you do stuff like the 'is this for you?' quiz.)

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Nice to hear a positive response, do you know what kind of things you’re mate does on a day-to-day basis?

Would really appreciate any other information you have on the job.

Did plan to work in finance, ideally an IB but the current situation means that I will have to put that on the back burner for a while and possibly work for Aldi until the market recovers (not holding my breath).
    He does the general things, like stacking shelves, tills, etc. And he gets paid about what you said earlier. I suppose if he went for a manager's position he'd get a much higher payment, but he's on a gap year so I'm guessing he wouldn't need to..
    But yeah, I'd definitely enquire about it if you current situation is a bit bleak. I don't see why not.

ReputationRep:
    The interview involved team work exercises, group discussions on economics/politics etc. Oh and tests. 4 tests in 20 minutes. A fairly straight-forward personality one, two verbal and one numerical reasoning test. They're the usual kind of psychometric tests that companies give, so you could get some practice books which may help - but I personally don't have much faith in those, I think they're either something you're good at, or you're not. The time limit is far too short to finish the paper in, so it's also about being able to carefully select which questions to attempt.
    They also do a long Q&A session with the MD of the region, which is really helpful. He was very honest about the workload and the high dropout rate, and it's probably a good opportunity to find out if you genuinely want to work there, or if you're just being attracted by the 40K.

Not sure about the regions, you could probably email them and find out. I would imagine it will be the whole South-east region though, so probably pretty big.

With regards to the covering letter - I got the feeling that they interviewed most people who applied, so perhaps not an amazingly important part of your application. Just stress your interest in being a manager, and explain how you demonstrate the qualities that Aldi are looking for (all of which are detailed on their website if you do stuff like the 'is this for you?' quiz.)
    That’s great I guess I now know what to expect if I get an interview . I plan to apply for the position in the next few weeks.

How long did it take them to get back to you when you applied? If I am successful for interview do you know when they expect me to start (as I want to finish studying before I start)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbi_louise_whey)
    He does the general things, like stacking shelves, tills, etc. And he gets paid about what you said earlier. I suppose if he went for a manager's position he'd get a much higher payment, but he's on a gap year so I'm guessing he wouldn't need to..
    But yeah, I'd definitely enquire about it if you current situation is a bit bleak. I don't see why not.
    Is he on the graduate scheme or is he working as a shop assistant?

ReputationRep:
    That’s great I guess I now know what to expect if I get an interview . I plan to apply for the position in the next few weeks.

How long did it take them to get back to you when you applied? If I am successful for interview do you know when they expect me to start (as I want to finish studying before I start)?
    They were incredibly quick to get back to me - the whole process seems very efficient. I got a letter inviting me for interview within a week of my application, I've been told that I'll hear by Friday as to how the Monday interview went, and for people who get through to the final interview, they get a job offer/rejection within three days!
    They're flexible with start dates, it's done on an individual basis, so it's not one massive scheme starting in September/October as a lot of grad schemes are. Bear in mind that a lot of people go into it having been in work a few years, so they have to be flexible as people need to serve out their notice period.
    Good luck with your application! I got the feeling that I wasn't well suited to the role, so am fully expecting a big fat rejection any day now, but I hope it goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    They were incredibly quick to get back to me - the whole process seems very efficient. I got a letter inviting me for interview within a week of my application, I've been told that I'll hear by Friday as to how the Monday interview went, and for people who get through to the final interview, they get a job offer/rejection within three days!
    They're flexible with start dates, it's done on an individual basis, so it's not one massive scheme starting in September/October as a lot of grad schemes are. Bear in mind that a lot of people go into it having been in work a few years, so they have to be flexible as people need to serve out their notice period.
    Good luck with your application! I got the feeling that I wasn't well suited to the role, so am fully expecting a big fat rejection any day now, but I hope it goes well for you
    Wow they do sound efficient!

Do keep me updated and let me know when you get a response. Think positively and hopefully we will both be successful in getting the job

ReputationRep:
    Wow they do sound efficient!

Do keep me updated and let me know when you get a response. Think positively and hopefully we will both be successful in getting the job
    Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes for me. Nothing today, but should hear tomorrow or Friday. I don't think a rejection would bother me that much, as I got the feeling from the assessment day that it wouldn't necessarily be the right job for me. Luckily I have one or two other things lined up! Good luck with it, I think it's definately a great opportunity for the right kind of person (confident, business-minded and very committed!)

ReputationRep:
    I have just left my place at Aldi after only 1 year..
    Just like you I heard about the £7.70 pay going up to £9.00
    and was sucked in.......
    On my first day I had to remember all produce codes by an hour or they sent me home....
    I have worked 14 hour shifts & only got one 15 minutes break
    & been sat on a till for 12 hours straight..
    having to work out change & remember all the produce codes
    that change all the time with not having a till difference of a £1.00 or over..
    I have worked a 10 hour shift & got no break at all
    I have worked for 3 weeks & not had one day off
    Often called in on my days off & sent to other stores miles away from my location with no choice...
    The work load is ridiculous you might say it isn't exactly hard but when your timed on anything you do & the manager expects you to of done anything on your own while your on as second till on a busy day is impossible...
    Many times it was only two of working in the shop all day & by two i mean me and a store manager who stayed in the office most of day doing "ordering" as he said so your left on your own to do everything...
    I had been there a year & my pay still did'nt go up to £9.00

I would seriously have rethink of leaving the current job your in to work at Aldi.

ReputationRep:
    I have just been called for an interview as a store assistant , however i had asked the lady on the phone if it was a group interview she said it was a one to one interview do u no wt kind of question will b asked

ReputationRep:
    How did the interview work??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farah111)
    I have just been called for an interview as a store assistant , however i had asked the lady on the phone if it was a group interview she said it was a one to one interview do u no wt kind of question will b asked
    I've been asked to go for an interview on wed to Aldi.. However I've worked in care for over 2 years and last time I worked in retail was 2006 so I am very nervous and haven't a clue what to expect.. Can anyone help??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.