The Student Room Group

I need English help

Some info:
I'm heading into Year 11 and have already done my first official round of GCSE mocks. I theoretically know how to answer questions, but in reality, I struggle immensely: my answers are never as coherent, academic, or analytical as my peers, and I wrote better descriptions and stories at eight years old. I got a grade 2 in the English language and literature mocks.

The issue:
Normally, I wouldn't care: English isn't a subject I enjoy or necessarily need for the work I want to go into. However, I NEED at least a grade 5 in English language or literature in order to take my A levels at the school I want to go to: it's the only GCSE I'm not on target for, and without a high enough grade, I won't even be able to apply despite good results in all my other subjects.

I really want to do my A levels: does anyone have any study advice for how I can raise my grade?
English Lit is more about analysing a piece of text for literary devices (adjectives, verbs, metaphors etc) and you have to explain their purpose.

English Language is more about how a text can be interpreted - what sort of connotations or ideas does the text give you? It's more about the general idea of a text.

Try these to improve:
- Past papers (from multiple exam boards, so that you can have more questions to try with)
- Look at sample answers
- Reading in general
- watch tutorials on how to answer certain questions (you'll find these on youtube)
- Properly familiarise yourself with literary devices and practice trying to identify them in a piece of text
- For Literature make sure you familiarise yourself with the texts you're studying ( make a list of themes, quotes and anything else useful!) to revise a text to the maximum, watch movies on the text and watch summary videos
- For Literature also study the context for your texts - it's a good way to get marks!!
- For Language, if it's difficult to write stories then you could try practicing by looking at random images on google and writing a story about it - don't feel that you have to stick to a certain genre when writing a story, in my experience of gcse lang I'd always write horror stories about every image I saw, because that was my favourite genre.
- Make sure that your SPAG (spelling, punctuation and Grammar) is perfect - it's the easiest way to get marks
- Use a thesaurus to use for synonyms for words you frequently you use

e.g. instead of saying:

'Shakespeare shows that in the Tempest Caliban is bad because he uses mean words and it gives a bad idea '

say this:

'Throughout the Tempest, Shakespeare demonstrates that Caliban holds a poor character; due to his use of lexis which insinuate negative connotations'

It's the same thing, but fancier words and it can help you get more marks!
Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Bean_cat
English Lit is more about analysing a piece of text for literary devices (adjectives, verbs, metaphors etc) and you have to explain their purpose.

English Language is more about how a text can be interpreted - what sort of connotations or ideas does the text give you? It's more about the general idea of a text.

Try these to improve:
- Past papers (from multiple exam boards, so that you can have more questions to try with)
- Look at sample answers
- Reading in general
- watch tutorials on how to answer certain questions (you'll find these on youtube)
- Properly familiarise yourself with literary devices and practice trying to identify them in a piece of text
- For Literature make sure you familiarise yourself with the texts you're studying ( make a list of themes, quotes and anything else useful!) to revise a text to the maximum, watch movies on the text and watch summary videos
- For Literature also study the context for your texts - it's a good way to get marks!!
- For Language, if it's difficult to write stories then you could try practicing by looking at random images on google and writing a story about it - don't feel that you have to stick to a certain genre when writing a story, in my experience of gcse lang I'd always write horror stories about every image I saw, because that was my favourite genre.
- Make sure that your SPAG (spelling, punctuation and Grammar) is perfect - it's the easiest way to get marks
- Use a thesaurus to use for synonyms for words you frequently you use

e.g. instead of saying:

'Shakespeare shows that in the Tempest Caliban is bad because he uses mean words and it gives a bad idea '

say this:

'Throughout the Tempest, Shakespeare demonstrates that Caliban holds a poor character; due to his use of lexis which insinuate negative connotations'

It's the same thing, but fancier words and it can help you get more marks!

Thank you so much for this advice - I wasn't expecting a response so quickly! I'll definitely be trying some of these techniques to revise before my next mocks :smile:
Original post by emememi
Thank you so much for this advice - I wasn't expecting a response so quickly! I'll definitely be trying some of these techniques to revise before my next mocks :smile:

PS - you should check out Mr Bruff on Youtube, he does a lot of content on the subject and analysis on a lot of texts. It also might be worth checking out the website 'Genius' for poetry analysis too (I'm assuming people still study poetry in eng lit gcse?)

Quick Reply

Latest