The Student Room Group

Doubt on Joint honours degrees

So i wish to study BA Economics with History (Just wanted to clarify with History and not Economic History) but can i take it with me for Msc Economics
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Dummydumdum
So i wish to study BA Economics with History (Just wanted to clarify with History and not Economic History) but can i take it with me for Msc Economics

Why don't you just look at the entry requirements for the MSc Economics courses at the unis you think you might be interested in applying to in the future?

As far as I know, most MSc Economics courses and most economist graduate schemes require at least 50% of your modules to be in economics. So joint honours is generally fine, you may want to skew your optional modules slightly towards economics rather than history though if you want to do an MSc Economics. Equally, you could just do a MSc Economic History as well. Only concern is that you might not have the quantitative experience that some of the very top elite MSc Economics programs apply, but this very much depends on the uni that you'll be studying the BA Econ+Hist at, and where you want to study the MSc Economics
Original post by BenRyan99
Why don't you just look at the entry requirements for the MSc Economics courses at the unis you think you might be interested in applying to in the future?

As far as I know, most MSc Economics courses and most economist graduate schemes require at least 50% of your modules to be in economics. So joint honours is generally fine, you may want to skew your optional modules slightly towards economics rather than history though if you want to do an MSc Economics. Equally, you could just do a MSc Economic History as well. Only concern is that you might not have the quantitative experience that some of the very top elite MSc Economics programs apply, but this very much depends on the uni that you'll be studying the BA Econ+Hist at, and where you want to study the MSc Economics

Would it be possible to get into the Bank of England economist graduate scheme with a joint honours degree in economics (context: starting a joint honours degree in economics + economic history at LSE) or would an msc in economics be required/more favourable?
Original post by serenedoge1
Would it be possible to get into the Bank of England economist graduate scheme with a joint honours degree in economics (context: starting a joint honours degree in economics + economic history at LSE) or would an msc in economics be required/more favourable?

I'm almost certain (99% sure) that Econ+Econ history is absolutely fine for the BoE graduate development program (btw them and the treasury really need to change the name of their grad scheme away from GDP consider the topics they work on).

I say 99% just because I didn't know anyone during my undergrad doing that program so can't say for sure. But they say a degree in economics or finance for the economist stream of their grad program so economics and economic history will be fine. I know someone who did Econ+geog at LSE and joined the BoE grad scheme so I can't imagine it's different for economics and economic history.

Worth being open minded though. I wouldn't plot your employer in three years before you've even started your degree. Obviously aim for it, but with an open mind as interests change over time. Would recommend trying to get internship/placement experience at the BoE in your 1st and/or 2nd year to give you the best shot for the graduate scheme
Original post by BenRyan99
I'm almost certain (99% sure) that Econ+Econ history is absolutely fine for the BoE graduate development program (btw them and the treasury really need to change the name of their grad scheme away from GDP consider the topics they work on).

I say 99% just because I didn't know anyone during my undergrad doing that program so can't say for sure. But they say a degree in economics or finance for the economist stream of their grad program so economics and economic history will be fine. I know someone who did Econ+geog at LSE and joined the BoE grad scheme so I can't imagine it's different for economics and economic history.

Worth being open minded though. I wouldn't plot your employer in three years before you've even started your degree. Obviously aim for it, but with an open mind as interests change over time. Would recommend trying to get internship/placement experience at the BoE in your 1st and/or 2nd year to give you the best shot for the graduate scheme

Thanks for the reply! I haven't had much to do this summer while waiting for my A-level results so I've just been exploring different careers (e.g. insight days, lse careers section). I've come across your profile recently so I am aware that you work in economic consultancy which shares a similar entry requirements with wanting a degree in economics, so I assume a similar answer to the one you gave for the BoE economist stream?

Would you mind if I asked a few questions about your experience in economic consultancy?
Original post by serenedoge1
Thanks for the reply! I haven't had much to do this summer while waiting for my A-level results so I've just been exploring different careers (e.g. insight days, lse careers section). I've come across your profile recently so I am aware that you work in economic consultancy which shares a similar entry requirements with wanting a degree in economics, so I assume a similar answer to the one you gave for the BoE economist stream?

Would you mind if I asked a few questions about your experience in economic consultancy?

I worked in econ consulting for a summer between my MSc and MRes/PhD. So, happy to answer any questions you have regarding econ/econ careers either in this thread or in DMs so as to not make it a big thread unrelated to the original question
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest