The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath v London

Hello,

I am deciding between studying in London or Bath. Is it true that Bath is just as expensive as London?
Reply 1
Original post by jdavies09
Hello,

I am deciding between studying in London or Bath. Is it true that Bath is just as expensive as London?

You would need around 5,173.13£ in London to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 4,300.00£ in Bath (assuming you rent in both cities).
Source: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Hello,

Nowhere near as expensive as London mate
Hello,

bath accommodation can be but its a pretty much the same as other cities if you choose right. for other costs, it can be a bit more expensive than other cities but not London assuming you'll be living fairly central. also travel costs in London with make you go bankrupt whereas in bath you can walk everywhere
Hey, I lived in Bath for most of my life but also in London in the past. For cost of living London is much more expensive. The most expensive city in the UK. Bath is a nice place but for a student you can get by with as much as pretyy much anywhere else. Just don't shop in Waitrose and your student living costs won't be sky high lol. And as someone else mentioned Bath is very walkable. You can easily avoid taking public transport at all. The uni campus to city centre is maybe a 40 minute walk and that's probably as far as you'll need to go. But the uni itself is up a big hill so be prepared for that if you don't take the bus up. But there's also a reason you can get bigger student loans if you're studying in London, and that's because the costs are so much higher! So yes, Bath is cheaper than London :smile:
Hello,

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

In short, Bath is not as expensive as London. Whilst Bath is not the cheapest city in the UK, its general costs of living are noticeably lower than London. Accommodation is often the most significant outgoing for a student - you can see Bath's student accommodation costs for first year students here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/undergraduate-accommodation-prices/. This may assist in your cost of living comparisons.

Hope this helps and please do ask if you have any other questions.

James
Final Year Student

Quick Reply

Latest