Turn on thread page Beta

Anti Virus/Spyware & Firewall Protection Guide watch

ReputationRep:
    question to sexymike: after reformatting everything, could I wing it with just Malwarebytes and CCleaner. I play alot of games and my try to avoid "slowing down" of the system.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cactusboi)
    question to sexymike: after reformatting everything, could I wing it with just Malwarebytes and CCleaner. I play alot of games and my try to avoid "slowing down" of the system.
    You'll need antivirus that will do real time scanning i.e. Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Malwarebytes doesn't have real time scanning as far as I know.

I have MSE, Malwarebytes and CCleaner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    You'll need antivirus that will do real time scanning i.e. Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Malwarebytes doesn't have real time scanning as far as I know.

I have MSE, Malwarebytes and CCleaner.
    I have trojans that I can't get rid of. It seems i'll have to reformat the computer. How do i go about this?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    I have trojans that I can't get rid of. It seems i'll have to reformat the computer. How do i go about this?
    I need the names of the trojans. Have tried scanning in safe mode?

ReputationRep:
    I'll do it properly first and then say.

ReputationRep:
    crap i just got about 25 trojans from some website, now its changed my desktop saying im infected, i rebooted and now some windows box came up saying i have some sort of worm. Its says windows is downloading some spyware for me, i keep blocking that.

I using avg and doing a full scan and trendmicro housecall scan aswell..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gozatron)
    crap i just got about 25 trojans from some website, now its changed my desktop saying im infected, i rebooted and now some windows box came up saying i have some sort of worm. Its says windows is downloading some spyware for me, i keep blocking that.

I using avg and doing a full scan and trendmicro housecall scan aswell..
    Have you followed the guide? Scanning in Safe Mode?

ReputationRep:
    Have you followed the guide? Scanning in Safe Mode?
    I haven't scanned in safe mode partly due to my computer doesn't load up normally, i tends to go into a wierd computer settings area before i get to the loading windows area.

I found my virus i mostly removed the features using Malware Bytes, Super-anti spyware, Trendmicro housecall and AVG and planning to use hijackthis and ccleaner when i get a chance, however i found out the virus is a tricky little bugger by the name Cryptor32, even after i did all those scans still probs up ever 5 minutes unde rnew temperary files names trying to redirect my firefox to certain pages. I think i may have to system restore because nothing seems to be working
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gozatron)
    I haven't scanned in safe mode partly due to my computer doesn't load up normally, i tends to go into a wierd computer settings area before i get to the loading windows area.

I found my virus i mostly removed the features using Malware Bytes, Super-anti spyware, Trendmicro housecall and AVG and planning to use hijackthis and ccleaner when i get a chance, however i found out the virus is a tricky little bugger by the name Cryptor32, even after i did all those scans still probs up ever 5 minutes unde rnew temperary files names trying to redirect my firefox to certain pages. I think i may have to system restore because nothing seems to be working
    You really need to try to get into Safe Mode, what exactly is this wierd computer settings area? What does it say on it?

ReputationRep:
    You really need to try to get into Safe Mode, what exactly is this wierd computer settings area? What does it say on it?
    Well its just after were the computer manfactuers name comes up but before the windows loading logo. I haven't really paid much attention but it allows to change settings on the hard drive but usually i just exit that as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    You'd need to change the .exe file location. (Right click on the Malwarebytes shortcut icon >> Properties >> Change target location)

Something like this:

C:\Users\[insert username]\Desktop\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    I don't get that option? Is because I'm in safe mode or would it not matter?

I have dragged and dropped the file onto my desktop and when I go on properties the location is the same as the one you posted, yet I still cannot open the file.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kevin J)
    I don't get that option? Is because I'm in safe mode or would it not matter?

I have dragged and dropped the file onto my desktop and when I go on properties the location is the same as the one you posted, yet I still cannot open the file.
    Ok forget my instructions, there's a specific removal method. Follow: http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-remo...l-instructions

ReputationRep:
    Ok forget my instructions, there's a specific removal method. Follow: http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-remo...l-instructions
    Yeah I did find that on Google but didnt fancy messing about deleting reg keys in case I messed up my whole laptop!

However, I did get rid of it and if you or anyone else is curious in how to to get rid of the Antivirus vista 2010 virus I used this sites step by step guide:

http://www.softsailor.com/how-to/169...010-virus.html

ReputationRep:
    Vista Internet Security 2010 is a ***** to remove. =/ Anyone else here got it?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what exactly is microsoft security essentials please ? :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    Can anyone tell me what exactly is microsoft security essentials please ? :confused:
    Antivirus software by Microsoft. It's one of the best around, Google will tell you that.

ReputationRep:
    Antivirus software by Microsoft. It's one of the best around, Google will tell you that.
    Well I already have Avast 5 so I should remove it right ? Ohh I thought it was for malware :o:

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    Well I already have Avast 5 so I should remove it right ? Ohh I thought it was for malware :o:

Thanks
    Yes you should uninstall Avast if you want to install Microsoft Security Essentials.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Everytime I log onto windows 'My Documents' keeps popping up. I have Norton-Anti Virus and have run several scans and it does say that it has detected and removed a cookie. I have run system restore to take me to the state my PC was a few days back, but the problem still persists. I have surfed the net, but I'm quite sure about what to do!
    Please help TSR! :woo:

Thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TanishaBellum)
    Hi there,

Everytime I log onto windows 'My Documents' keeps popping up. I have Norton-Anti Virus and have run several scans and it does say that it has detected and removed a cookie. I have run system restore to take me to the state my PC was a few days back, but the problem still persists. I have surfed the net, but I'm quite sure about what to do!
    Please help TSR! :woo:

Thanks.
    Follow step 4 in the first post, How to remove viruses in general, to produce a Hijack Log.

I doubt it's a virus, just something is opening it on start up, perhaps a program, that is all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 24, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.