Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anti Virus/Spyware & Firewall Protection Guide Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello. My Avast has just ran out today. Can anyone tell which is the best free one because i don't fancy paying for it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    Hello. My Avast has just ran out today. Can anyone tell which is the best free one because i don't fancy paying for it
    Microsoft Security Essentials.

Edit:
    Renew Avast - it's free isn't it?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    Avast has a free version too, many people will recommend that. I like AVG personally, and I think MSE is another popular one. Personal choice really!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Avast has a free version too, many people will recommend that. I like AVG personally, and I think MSE is another popular one. Personal choice really!
    You only get 1 year free sub? :holmes:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    You only get 1 year free sub? :holmes:
    Really? Are you talking about Avast? :holmes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Really? Are you talking about Avast? :holmes:
    Well I think you can get a new one...
    http://www.avast.com/en-gb/registrat...-antivirus.php
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Well I think you can get a new one...
    http://www.avast.com/en-gb/registrat...-antivirus.php
    Interesting. That's why I use AVG :ahee:.

ReputationRep:
    Old thread is old, but...

You can renew the avast free licence each year apparently

Also, what's the difference between spyware/malware? Do spybot/malwarebytes cover against both? (and which is better? :teeth:)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    Old thread is old, but...

You can renew the avast free licence each year apparently

Also, what's the difference between spyware/malware? Do spybot/malwarebytes cover against both? (and which is better? :teeth:)
    (Original post by Wiki)
    Malware, short for malicious software, is software designed to infiltrate a computer system without the owner's informed consent.

Spyware is a type of malware that is installed on computers and collects little bits of information at a time about users without their knowledge.
    There won't be one software that will cover every virus out there, but I reckon Malwarebytes is better.

ReputationRep:
    There won't be one software that will cover every virus out there, but I reckon Malwarebytes is better.
    Ah ok that makes sense. Brother asked me to sort out his laptop today, and I'm no expert. Avast would install but wouldn't turn on. Had to first use spybot to get rid of bucket loads of spyware and trojans and then install avast.

Good thread btw

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the new Avast for some reason, it just never seemed to pick up anything for some reason. However now I have Microsoft Security Essentials, which is running perfectly fine now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    I don't like the new Avast for some reason, it just never seemed to pick up anything for some reason. However now I have Microsoft Security Essentials, which is running perfectly fine now.
    MSE is pants, tested fact, I even said to secretmessages last night actually when I was fixing my dad's laptop - let though flipping 2 trojans and another 2 when I used to use it on my laptop as well.

Light and ***** tbh.

ReputationRep:
    MSE is pants, tested fact, I even said to secretmessages last night actually when I was fixing my dad's laptop - let though flipping 2 trojans and another 2 when I used to use it on my laptop as well.

Light and ***** tbh.

:p:

You got me worried there, well I think I'll try buying Nod32 then when I can, what anti virus are you using ? If you dont mind me asking.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    :p:

You got me worried there, well I think I'll try buying Nod32 then when I can, what anti virus are you using ? If you dont mind me asking.
    Avast.

ReputationRep:
    Avast.

Aye :yy:

Crap. So there's a virus/malware on my laptop and I've followed the advice in the first post but I can't seem to download avg or avast, but I've downloaded malwarebytes because that's the only thing it let's me download. I've used malwarebytes in safemode and it appears to have removed the first virus/malware: malware doctor or something and after restarting, there's another virus/malware which is a lot worse than the previous one because I can't open any program or use the internet etc so nothing works.

And if it matters, my previous anti-virus software was Microsoft security essentials but I obviously won't be using it again because it's ****.

What do I do next?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    Crap. So there's a virus/malware on my laptop and I've followed the advice in the first post but I can't seem to download avg or avast, but I've downloaded malwarebytes because that's the only thing it let's me download. I've used malwarebytes in safemode and it appears to have removed the first virus/malware: malware doctor or something and after restarting, there's another virus/malware which is a lot worse than the previous one because I can't open any program or use the internet etc so nothing works.

And if it matters, my previous anti-virus software was Microsoft security essentials but I obviously won't be using it again because it's ****.

What do I do next?
    Malware Doctor has specific removal instructions so you can't just download something and let it do it's magic.

Tbh, it sounds like you're going to have to start from fresh, wipe the hard drive and re-install the OS, but whether you have the OS disk is another question.

Malware Doctor has specific removal instructions so you can't just download something and let it do it's magic.

Tbh, it sounds like you're going to have to start from fresh, wipe the hard drive and re-install the OS, but whether you have the OS disk is another question.
    ****. I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that because there's a good chance the disks are at uni.

I have an external HD with most of my things on, but will I be able to transfer whatever's left including itunes or take screenshots of things while in safe mode?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    ****. I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that because there's a good chance the disks are at uni.

I have an external HD with most of my things on, but will I be able to transfer whatever's left including itunes or take screenshots of things while in safe mode?
    Yep unless the virus disables plug 'n' play as well.

Yep unless the virus disables plug 'n' play as well.
    I've found the recovery discs so I'll reinstall the OS first thing tomorrow morning.

Well plug 'n' play/ everything else bar the internet works in safe mode. I'll need to find that PM you sent me the last time I re-installed the OS and I'll get cracking. After I'm done with the re-installation, I take it I'll need to install Avg/avast and malwarebytes. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks btw. :yy:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.