Turn on thread page Beta

Anti Virus/Spyware & Firewall Protection Guide watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    Make this a sticky

Oh and from my opinion the best from Spikeymikes excellent list is AVG and Ad-Ware. As for the firewalls, most people have them built into their routers/modems etc- I do anyways lol
    QFT.

Keep up the good work. :^_^:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What's 'QFT'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    What's 'QFT'?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Quoted For Truth?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ok?

Well, i've added the most popular premium anti viruses except Norton (god damn it!)... well do we really want it in the list? :p: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Ok?

Well, i've added the most popular premium anti viruses except Norton (god damn it!)... well do we really want it in the list? :p: :rofl:
    Firstly spikeymike, nice thread.

As far as Norton goes - I'd mention it, but indicate that it isn't recommended and say why - slow, bloated, nannystate etc.

A very worthwhile premium anti-virus that's missing off that list is ESET NOD32. It's well worth the money IMO. http://www.eset.com/ 30 day free trial, then £29.95 for the year.

ReputationRep:
    I probably should have edited out the second sentence in the post I quoted as its a bit confusing. I was advocating the stickying of the thread, which has been done huzzah!

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Firstly spikeymike, nice thread.

As far as Norton goes - I'd mention it, but indicate that it isn't recommended and say why - slow, bloated, nannystate etc.

A very worthwhile premium anti-virus that's missing off that list is ESET NOD32. It's well worth the money IMO. http://www.eset.com/ 30 day free trial, then £29.95 for the year.
    Oh yeah ESET... i'll go add that and Norton just now. :top:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think my first post is in contention for the World Record for the longest post :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    why the hell would you add Norton? it's not anti virus it's just an annoying, get in the way, not going to protect you, yellow thing!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by inferiormadbeing)
    QFT.

Thanks for the rep!

ReputationRep:
    if I were to get all of these free ones would they conflict with each other? what happens if you run them all doing scans at the same time?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Never install more than 1 anti virus at any time, they will interfere.

ReputationRep:
    so which anti virus do you suggest to install?

What if I partition my hard drive and put different ones on different partitions, then scan all partitions separately with each one?

*did that make sense?*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    so which anti virus do you suggest to install?

What if I partition my hard drive and put different ones on different partitions, then scan all partitions separately with each one?

*did that make sense?*
    If you partition your hard drive, you still only have 1 operating system (OS) on the C: so you can't install anything on the other partitions unless you have another OS.

Do you want a free one? Avast!
    Do you want to pay for it? Kaspersky

But many people will have different opinions as it's down to personal preference.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Who ever just repped me, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    probably me who repped, you must be getting **** loads from this thread!. I'm thinking of getting a partition with linux on, and vista is my current OS (unfortunately). Avast... cool, I'll uninstall AVG free after scanning with that and install Avast afterwards then.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you install linux, you more than likely not need an anti virus... plus there's very few or no anti virus software for Linux.

ReputationRep:
    oh I know that, but it'd be to try and scan vista a bit more.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    On Vista, if you just have a firewall and an antivirus then i think you'll be safe enough assuming that you don't click on stupid things :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 24, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.