Turn on thread page Beta

Anti Virus/Spyware & Firewall Protection Guide watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The stupid notifications piss me off. (The red one under the main antivirus window)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    The stupid notifications piss me off. (The red one under the main antivirus window)
    Erm... click "hide" then :confused:

Surely you should be looking at more important things like virus detection rates, database update frequency, etc. rather than trivial nonsense like that? I don't really care if that is your reason for using another AV solution, but to warn people away from a very good one is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)

Surely you should be looking at more important things like virus detection rates, database update frequency, etc. rather than trivial nonsense like that? I don't really care if that is your reason for using another AV solution, but to warn people away from a very good one is ridiculous.
    To be fair, Avast is also very good, and he didn't warn anyone away. Saying 'i don't like it' =/= 'don't use it', it's a personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    To be fair, Avast is also very good, and he didn't warn anyone away. Saying 'i don't like it' =/= 'don't use it', it's a personal opinion.
    Avast is quite good. However, in my experience, there has been more times that Avast has had to be binned, and then replaced by AVG to get rid of a virus than the other way around.

And yes, it was personal opinion - which he then used to steer someone one direction.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Yeah, even though i click hide, it pops up again the next time i open AVG. :hmmm:

Like what Oli said, i never said, "don't use it it's well bad." which one can follow or not, it's up to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Yeah, even though i click hide, it pops up again the next time i open AVG. :hmmm:

Like what Oli said, i never said, "don't use it it's well bad." which one can follow or not, it's up to them.
    My point remains though - it's a silly and trivial reason to choose/recommend an anti-virus solution.

ReputationRep:
    SF you will find tech people (myself included) have little things we like about softwre and things we dislike.
    I prefer AVG, SpikeyMike prefers Avast. No big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    SF you will find tech people (myself included) have little things we like about softwre and things we dislike.
    I prefer AVG, SpikeyMike prefers Avast. No big deal.
    I know it was no big deal. I said it was no big deal. :rolleyes:

And what is that supposed to mean "tech people (myself included)"? lol

ReputationRep:
    I know it was no big deal. I said it was no big deal. :rolleyes:

And what is that supposed to mean "tech people (myself included)"? lol
    People who like technology and such things.
    I prefer AVG to Avast cos AVG is simpler to use.
    I prefer iTunes to Windows cos I like where the buttons are.
    Everyone has their own tastes in everything

ReputationRep:
    what are people's opinions on windows live onecare if they have it?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe stick this in somewhere SpikeyMike:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial94.html
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Maybe stick this in somewhere SpikeyMike:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial94.html
    Added thanks! :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkiichiicka)
    what are people's opinions on windows live onecare if they have it?
    I believe they are scrapping the whole one care thing; from what I hear, MS will be making a whole new security suite incl an antivirus for free sometime next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Firstly spikeymike, nice thread.

As far as Norton goes - I'd mention it, but indicate that it isn't recommended and say why - slow, bloated, nannystate etc.

A very worthwhile premium anti-virus that's missing off that list is ESET NOD32. It's well worth the money IMO. http://www.eset.com/ 30 day free trial, then £29.95 for the year.
    Norton is complete and utter rubbish, the heurtics are non-existent meaning it cannot pick-up likely virus/trojan files.

I love BitDefender, they even gave me a free upgrade from 2008 edition to 2009 for the rest of my license. Only pain was the fact they auto-renewed a subscription without telling me I even had a subscription.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ok. for the record...

Do not start arguing which anti virus best etc etc. You can say which you prefer for whatever reason and such.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Oli could remove all the posts in here that are no longer needed.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Maybe Oli could remove all the posts in here that are no longer needed.
    That's not neccessary? :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Changelog:

+ Slight edit to "How to remove viruses" on first post.

ReputationRep:
    Greeeeeen
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by olileauk)
    Greeeeeen
    What is? :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 24, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.