Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Echolife)
    I have scanned in safe mode as I followed the instructions on Norton's web site. However as I said in my previous post it when it scans in safe mode it then says that the virus has not been found on the computer yet still get the warning message later.
    Coming to think about it, give Malwarebytes a shot, links on the first page, you don't need to uninstall anything just install it and run in safe mode.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Direct downloads links to Anti Virus software has been added to the first post just incase you are affected by the Conficker virus.

BBC: Conficker Virus Q&A

It has been known that the virus WILL prevent the user to access Anti virus sites so this is why I have provided a direct download link rather than going through the site.

ReputationRep:
    the story about anti-virus 2009, and its variants really needs to be spread. so many people have fallen for it, and nerds such as myself always end up picking up the pieces

ReputationRep:
    in my experience, kaspersky is AMAZING.

ReputationRep:
    I have Avast on my PC and when I go on certain anti-virus sites the network shield blocks it is that because of the Conflicker Virus?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    I have Avast on my PC and when I go on certain anti-virus sites the network shield blocks it is that because of the Conflicker Virus?
    Possibly? Tools are all in the first post.

ReputationRep:
    hm i don't know which to buy.

kasper sky or non32.

i hear nod32 is less system intensive...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by aoaaron)
    hm i don't know which to buy.

kasper sky or non32.

i hear nod32 is less system intensive...
    Avg or avast! is sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    this made me lol

i have to admit it looks remarkably good... except for the small unforeseen circumstances of me not using windows, not having a c drive and not being a muppet. as always i got curious and downloaded the "spyware removal" tool, but it wouldn't run through wine
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :rofl:

Don't fall for this kind of ad folks :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    this made me lol

i have to admit it looks remarkably good... except for the small unforeseen circumstances of me not using windows, not having a c drive and not being a muppet. as always i got curious and downloaded the "spyware removal" tool, but it wouldn't run through wine

I had the same whilst running puppy linux the other day, gave me a good chuckle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    this made me lol

oh dear, this was what happened to my home desktop yesterday and I fall for it :sad:

I also downloaded and it won't run as well:woo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by abcxyz6666)
    oh dear, this was what happened to my home desktop yesterday and I fall for it :sad:

I also downloaded and it won't run as well:woo:
    Have you got this sorted?

Thanks for the rep btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Have you got this sorted?

Thanks for the rep btw.
    Not really, my mum had to use the computer so I never had any chance. I'm scanning it now with MalwareBytes and 1 infected so far.

[edit:] 3 infections were found and removed. Do I need to run another scan with AVG?

Thanks btw
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Not really, my mum had to use the computer so I never had any chance. I'm scanning it now with MalwareBytes and 1 infected so far.

[edit:] 3 infections were found and removed. Do I need to run another scan with AVG?

Thanks btw
    You're welcome. Yes scan it to be totally virus free.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome. Yes scan it to be totally virus free.
    oh yeah, one more thing(sorry lol):

I have kaspersky installed on my netbook, is this the best at what it does?

[edit:] also if I visit a webpage that have virus through google cached snapshot or whatever is called, will the cached page have virus too?

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    oh yeah, one more thing(sorry lol):

I have kaspersky installed on my netbook, is this the best at what it does?

[edit:] also if I visit a webpage that have virus through google cached snapshot or whatever is called, will the cached page have virus too?

Thanks
    Kaspersky is good.

Umm.. probably? I'm not too sure to be honest, anyway if it did have a virus, your anti virus software will pick it out assuming it's on and active.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What does everyone think of the first post now? Better? Same? Worse?

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think of the first post now? Better? Same? Worse?

I like the old layout, is easier to read.

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Basically... which firewall? :ninja:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.