Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go to LSE (okay everyone does) my academic AS/Alevel results are not amazing. I got AAC at AS, I still haven’t got my predicted grades but I would guess AAB/AAC.
    (almost all A*, As at GCSE)
    I want to apply for international relations (req. AAB)

My strong side is my personal statement. Written well, I am currently learning my 6th language (Japanese) I also have a lot of experience in economics. (internship at wall street, san Francisco, also working at a radio station)

Do you think I have a chance?

(please don’t think I am showing off, I just wonder what you think guys)

thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    Languages=irrelevant
    I'm not sure what course you are applying to but if it's economics I'm afraid your grades aren't good enough
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    simple answer, yes
    non-simple answer, no
    I hate these threads, of course you have a chance, eveyone has a chance :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    Languages=irrelevant
    I'm not sure what course you are applying to but if it's economics I'm afraid your grades aren't good enough
    I was hoping international relations, which they need AAB....
    economics they want AAA, yes its true - its not a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought you were showing off... Just apply, no-one on here is an admissions tutor. Just bear in mind that there will other people who are applying with better A level predictions. Be sure to emphasize your strong points in your personal statement. Also, say what you got from your experience, as oppose to just listing what you've done... It's not a resume.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't obtain at least an 'AAA' prediction, I suspect the LSE is not for you.

ReputationRep:
    You could impress with that, but they could also throw your application away once they've seen your predicted grades

ReputationRep:
    lots of fair points, thanks guys
    btw, im not american if thats what you're thinking

ReputationRep:
    not all LSE courses want AAA. If you want to go for economics, though, you're probably not going to have much luck.

ReputationRep:
    I think all the above posters are being pretty harsh. I think you would have a pretty good chance with your experience and many languages.

Just try and get the best predicted grades you can i.e. if you are predicted AAC, go and talk to whoever it is that made the predictions and pretty much beg them to give you AAA or AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    I wouldn't have thought you were showing off... Just apply, no-one on here is an admissions tutor. Just bear in mind that there will other people who are applying with better A level predictions. Be sure to emphasize your strong points in your personal statement. Also, say what you got from your experience, as oppose to just listing what you've done... It's not a resume.
    Some are...

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    OP: Do you have any official language certificates such as ZD (dutch) DALF(french), JPT(japanese), HSK(chinese)?

If you do not hold any of those, your 'foreign language specialty' will definitely not strengthen your application. I mean, come on, many people could presumably say that they can speak foreign languages to some degree, though it varies from person to person.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ true, true!
    I have one a level language (Russian) but unfortunately the other ones are not done by British exam boards!!
    the only "proof" i have is that i have recommendation letters from teaching institutes that say "we have seen....teach in such and such languages.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this is what you do: your life ambition is to work for the united nations which is why you are applying for international relations, you are going to immediately take up human rights related volunteering activities which you will write about in your PS, and I should hope that your 5 languages correspond with the 5 UN ones.

If you are actually fluent in those languages, could you take the relevant GCSEs or A-levels, possibly externally? If you already know the languages then it wouldn't be too much work, and if you do have certificates demonstrating your fluency then your referee might be willing to predict good grades for them. If you managed to get As then not only would it be official proof LSE would consider but it'd also serve the grade requirements for the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    If you are actually fluent in those languages, could you take the relevant GCSEs or A-levels, possibly externally? If you already know the languages then it wouldn't be too much work, and if you do have certificates demonstrating your fluency then your referee might be willing to predict good grades for them. If you managed to get As then not only would it be official proof LSE would consider but it'd also serve the grade requirements for the course.
    That is a very good idea, what I would do is talk to the head of languages department or whatever in your school, do some mock exams in front of them, on the basis of that make them predict you as and add that to your official ucas so it will not be AAC but AAAAAAC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zliden)
    I got AAC at AS, I still haven’t got my predicted grades but I would guess AAB/AAC.
    Do you think I have a chance?
    Like every applicant to LSE, you too have a chance.
    However, with your grades I would say that it is a pretty small chance.

ReputationRep:
    Op I know people who started LSE this year (Management) with AAB grades. So you stand a chance. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    If you can't obtain at least an 'AAA' prediction, I suspect the LSE is not for you.
    indeed, just b/c they say they require AAB doesn't actually mean they make those offers, as given your (a) applying for IR and (b) its the LSE, the offers will most likely be AAA - often many universities use this tac of 'low' entry grades to fudge application numbers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
    not all LSE courses want AAA. If you want to go for economics, though, you're probably not going to have much luck.
    Not all offers are AAA, no, but for a lot of courses with offers of AAB, ABB, etc., they really won't bother looking at too many people without all As. To a great extent it depends on the competition, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.