The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance?

(edited 1 year ago)
I would apply for a subject that is easier but at one of those better universities - half of lawyers do a different degree first (although it will add to costs if you don't do law first - probably even under the new SQE system)
Original post by hclml
My predicted grades are A*A*D2

I am thinking about applying for Oxford, Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham and Sussex for Law

I am also considering Leeds, Manchester & Durham

Do I realistically have a chance of getting in? My teachers have been suggesting I apply for a subject that is not so competitive as I am unlikely to receive a place - and this has really disheartened me and knocked my confidence

Those aren't bad grades, most unis don't even require A*s in their A levels (I think). What subjects are they?

It also depends a lot on your PS and LNAT score for those that require it. You could say it's risky putting all 5 options for Law, I know someone tried that for Medicine (a but different I guess), got rejected by all 5 and the extra option. His grades weren't even bad I don't think.
Reply 3
Original post by ran-dumb
Those aren't bad grades, most unis don't even require A*s in their A levels (I think). What subjects are they?

It also depends a lot on your PS and LNAT score for those that require it. You could say it's risky putting all 5 options for Law, I know someone tried that for Medicine (a but different I guess), got rejected by all 5 and the extra option. His grades weren't even bad I don't think.

I'm doing Politics, Spanish and English Lit
Original post by hclml
My predicted grades are A*A*D2

I am thinking about applying for Oxford, Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham and Sussex for Law

I am also considering Leeds, Manchester & Durham

Do I realistically have a chance of getting in? My teachers have been suggesting I apply for a subject that is not so competitive as I am unlikely to receive a place - and this has really disheartened me and knocked my confidence

The thing you have to realise is that there are combinations of subject and university where absolutely everyone is unlikely to receive a place. One of those is Oxford. Yes, even if you have perfect grades. There are simply more (far more) top applicants than available places. Most of the applicants don't get in.

If that horrifies you and you only want to apply to places where you are near-certain to be offered a place, then you shouldn't apply to Oxford at all, and you will need to be very careful where you apply to for law (a bit of Googling should pull up the ratio of applications to offers at the different universities for law specifically).

But somebody will get in, you have five choices, and there are no bonus points for getting five offers. The generally recommended way of dealing with this is to apply to one or two universities where you probably won't get in but might, two or three where you probably will get in, and one where you're almost certain to get in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending