The Student Room Group

Is there something wrong with me ?

So I’ve been applying for graphic design jobs, and I’ve had several interviews.

During all of my video interviews that I had (whilst talking to the person interviewing me), the interviewer has been distracted by something in their room, they have all got up from their seat or they have been late.

They’ve basically paid no attention to me as a candidate that would like the opportunity to work in their company.

This has happend to me in more than one occasion in different interviews for different jobs, and I end up being rejected.

I’ve always been prepared and organised in all my interviews like arriving 15 mins early before the interview starts, always have a plan on what I want to say etc...

I’ve worked so hard, I put in a lot of time in my work and I just try and do the best I can for each interview.

But in return, I just feel disrespected by these rude people interviewing me.

I’m always polite, I smile ...I don’t know what more I can do :frown:

Is there something wrong with me?
(edited 1 year ago)
You seem to be talking about two different things: the rudeness of (some) interviewers and the fact that you "end up being rejected".

It may be that these two things are related - i.e. because the interviewer has decided within the first 5 minutes that you're not the ideal candidate, and they're just "going through the motions" to avoid cutting the interview too short - but the two things might also be entirely unrelated to each other.

I think them being "distracted by something in their room" or having "got up from their seat" is probably just a reflection of the way some people behave. I often see people on the phone (not video) with a newspaper in front of them, distractedly flipping from page to page whilst also trying to hold a conversation. I find that very odd behaviour, personally. I think what you're seeing is just another version of that. For some of them, it could also be a "power" thing - just trying to demonstrate that they're more important than you.

(By the way, I don't think you should worry about interviewers being late. Yes, it's rude. But it happens all the time.)
If a firm behaves like that in an interview, they're not worth working for anyway. The chances are they already found a candidate they wanted, but that's no excuse - everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

The trouble is, design is a fiercely competitive field. Keep applying for jobs, keep networking online (LinkedIn especially), keep learning new skills (particularly UX, motion and 3D which are all much in demand at the moment) and keep your portfolio updated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending