The Student Room Group

A level Result

So I got my a level result yesterday for year 12 and I got a B C and D. Im really devastated because I worked so hard for these exams and was pretty confident I'd get straight As. I don't know how to move forward since for me retaking them is not an option and I don't know if this will affect my year 13 grades drastically or not. Can someone please help me out.
Original post by yhhrom
So I got my a level result yesterday for year 12 and I got a B C and D. Im really devastated because I worked so hard for these exams and was pretty confident I'd get straight As. I don't know how to move forward since for me retaking them is not an option and I don't know if this will affect my year 13 grades drastically or not. Can someone please help me out.

hey, in quite literally the exact same scenario though for my B and C subjects im allowed retakes
id say the best thing to do is to just revise like crazy over the rest of the holidays, when yoyu get back to school maybe show your teachers the work youve done and that youre gonna work much harder, and then consistently do really well in tests and classwork over the remaining term
then hopefully by the christmas holidays the increase should be high enough that u can apply to most unis
atleast, thats what im doing
hope that helps
Original post by yhhrom

Does all a level results apply for all subjects and can results be found out within the UK too?
Reply 3
Im in zone 4 so our result comes out before it does in the UK. I think if you're there then you should be expecting yours on the 22nd if im not wrong

Original post by Mohammed_80
Does all a level results apply for all subjects and can results be found out within the UK too?
Reply 4
Original post by molak20
hey, in quite literally the exact same scenario though for my B and C subjects im allowed retakes
id say the best thing to do is to just revise like crazy over the rest of the holidays, when yoyu get back to school maybe show your teachers the work youve done and that youre gonna work much harder, and then consistently do really well in tests and classwork over the remaining term
then hopefully by the christmas holidays the increase should be high enough that u can apply to most unis
atleast, thats what im doing
hope that helps

The problem is that I have to give year 13 in October so I have very little time left. I need to start college by January so I kind of don't have any choice, which is the only reason why Im stressing out so much. I might retake the D this autumn but not for the B and C since I hope I can bump the grades up maybe by even 1.
Original post by yhhrom
The problem is that I have to give year 13 in October so I have very little time left. I need to start college by January so I kind of don't have any choice, which is the only reason why Im stressing out so much. I might retake the D this autumn but not for the B and C since I hope I can bump the grades up maybe by even 1.

ohhh i see, id say in that case probably revising right now is the b est strategy
hope youre able to bump them up
Original post by yhhrom
Im in zone 4 so our result comes out before it does in the UK. I think if you're there then you should be expecting yours on the 22nd if im not wrong

Does anyone know how many points a Distinction star worth
Reply 7
Does anyone know how many points a Distinction star worth

168 points on UCAS
Original post by yhhrom
168 points on UCAS

So if someone does 3 a levels and they know for sure on one a level they got a Distinction star yet they need 128 points to do a course at a specific university does it mean they’ve got the points already to do the course or?
Reply 9
So if someone does 3 a levels and they know for sure on one a level they got a Distinction star yet they need 128 points to do a course at a specific university does it mean they’ve got the points already to do the course or?

In A levels a distinction star is the equivalent of an A* so universities will consider your other grades too. I wouldn't rely solely on just one distinction star
Original post by yhhrom
In A levels a distinction star is the equivalent of an A* so universities will consider your other grades too. I wouldn't rely solely on just one distinction star

But at this existing moment with the requirement of 128 ucas points and a distinction star being worth 168 how much alone and also alongside the other grades if it was just a little less would you say that’s enough points to do the course at university
Original post by yhhrom

Hey @yhhrom

I am really sorry to hear this and this can be so demotivating. HOWEVER, it is very important that you continue to work hard and realise that your predicted grades (which are required to apply to universities) are affected by many things, not just your final year 12 performance.

I would recommend that you speak to your teachers and get feedback regarding your year 12 exams. I would also express to them what grades I require for university and ask for their advice or how I could achieve that (without any resits). Finally, I would make sure I do very well / try my best for any test in year 13 to demonstrate to my teachers what my actual predicted grades should be.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Shaheer (Lancaster University Ambassador)
Reply 12
But at this existing moment with the requirement of 128 ucas points and a distinction star being worth 168 how much alone and also alongside the other grades if it was just a little less would you say that’s enough points to do the course at university

I think you already have a good chance of getting in with a distinction star if you keep your other grades at a minimum of grade C. the requirement for most universities is 3 A levels so you can't get in with 1 subject alone, even if it's a distinction star
Original post by yhhrom

Heya! I'm sorry to hear that and it must be highly stressful :frown:. As other people have mentioned, don't give up on your revision just because you got bad results. You could look into resitting them in autumn but you would need to start your revision asap (preferably now!).

To begin with, reconsider your revision technique as it doesn't seem like it fits YOU. Google some different techniques and see which one works for you e.g. spider diagrams, etc. Personally, flashcards never helped me but spider diagrams did! You can test whether the revision technique is working out for you by doing a mock and marking yourself harshly (or have your teacher mark it).

Talk to your teachers and ask them how you can improve your answers, if it helps then Study Mind offers tons of free resources to help you with your studies.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest