Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would I be right in thinking that if somebod is lawyer in the US they can do both of the roles as equivelant in the UK e.g. can be both solicitor and barrister without having to decide on one type of route i.e. bvc or lpc?

ReputationRep:
    Not quite the same...
    so, i dont think if you qualify @ the american bar that you would be abled to work in UK.
    There's quite a lot (or a few) differences between the US and UK law system.
    just take the degrees themselves: LLB for UK and JD for US. There are however some law modules which are similar(almost). You have to check with American Bar and local bar system for accurate information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psl89)
    Not quite the same...
    so, i dont think if you qualify @ the american bar that you would be abled to work in UK.
    There's quite a lot (or a few) differences between the US and UK law system.
    just take the degrees themselves: LLB for UK and JD for US. There are however some law modules which are similar(almost). You have to check with American Bar and local bar system for accurate information.
    Thank for the reply.

I meant that in the UK you have to pick a route (solicitor or barrister) so I was wondering if it was the same in the USA, or whether the two roles blend into one?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are right, you do not need to pick either or in the US. However, you need to pass the Bar in the specific state in order to represent in courts in that state

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cs428)
    Yes you are right, you do not need to pick either or in the US. However, you need to pass the Bar in the specific state in order to represent in courts in that state
    Oh, ok thanks for the reply.

Am I right in thinking that you take the bar exam when you join a firm or is there a pre-training period too?

ReputationRep:
    You take the bar normally before you join a firm but if you are a summer associate and then they offer you a job you can sometimes start at the firm before you pass the bar - I know from friends that the bar can take up to a year to study for.

Are you looking to go over to the US? If you are in the UK the best way might be to study and train over here with a US or MC firm and then go over to the states as Law school in America is very expensive and there is no formal training.

ReputationRep:
    Although you don't have to choose which course to do and the route to qualification in an individual state is always the same, realistically you still choose whether to be a litigator or a transactional lawyer (basically barrister or solicitor, although litigators in america tend to do the jobs of both the solicitors and the barrister). You can't just "chop and change", if you see what I mean.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.