Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to do this without looking like a thief?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    why not get one of those hats with long sides?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerulean)
    Of course. Just leave your swag bag, jemmy and striped jumper at home.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah get a Ushanka, keeps you warm and you don't look (too much) like a terrorist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arisk01)

It's the face that's cold, but yeah I love those hats too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arisk01)
    Because then you look like a potential rapist/paedophile. So, it's a toss up between being percieved as a member of the IRA or a paedo - your call.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a hijaab - just as warm and no one will dare me so unpolitically correct as to try and accuse you of thieving!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Of course. Just leave your swag bag, jemmy and striped jumper at home.
    :rofl: And take it off before entering any shops :yep:

ReputationRep:
    maybe wear a colourful one not a black one for a start?

I wore my balaclava last year for a few weeks when it was freezing( i think in january). It's black and the side flap things near the bottom go quite far, so actually onto my shoulders a bit. Probably looked suspicious as because it was so cold i usually pulled the bottom of the opening for the face up quite a lot so it sat on my nose, so you could only see the small area of my face around my eyes, also a really thick black coat probably didn't help. I got a few glances from poor shivering fools:p: but nobody really cared.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: And take it off before entering any shops :yep:
    ... or banks, of course. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    maybe wear a colourful one not a black one for a start?

I wore my balaclava last year for a few weeks when it was freezing( i think in january). It's black and the side flap things near the bottom go quite far, so actually onto my shoulders a bit. Probably looked suspicious as because it was so cold i usually pulled the bottom of the opening for the face up quite a lot so it sat on my nose, so you could only see the small area of my face around my eyes, also a really thick black coat probably didn't help. I got a few glances from poor shivering fools:p: but nobody really cared.
    Haha, that's the look I'm trying t avoid, but its soooooooooooooooooo cold this time of year, I need something for my face.

Yes, another colour like sky blue or peach would be a good idea :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Guys, don't be silly there's no such thing as a person who wears a balaclava and isn't a thief. :rolleyes: OP I'd seriously recommend you burn your balaclava with petrol if you don't intend to be a thief. I'm 99.-98% sure that it's written somewhere in the laws that anyone with a balaclava on is a thief, so just be careful with it. Wear a beanie or something instead.

ReputationRep:
    Sien Fein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Guys, don't be silly there's no such thing as a person who wears a balaclava and isn't a thief. :rolleyes: OP I'd seriously recommend you burn your balaclava with petrol if you don't intend to be a thief. I'm 99.-98% sure that it's written somewhere in the laws that anyone with a balaclava on is a thief, so just be careful with it. Wear a beanie or something instead.

I like beanies It's just, I was looking for something with facial coverage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    Sien Fein
    :nah:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Because then you look like a potential rapist/paedophile. So, it's a toss up between being percieved as a member of the IRA or a paedo - your call.
    my immediate thought when thinking about balaclavas is a member of the IRA lol.

if you do wear one OP, make sure you dont have an irish accent lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AWZC)
    Wear a hijaab - just as warm and no one will dare me so unpolitically correct as to try and accuse you of thieving!
    good point actually... always thought it would be the perfect disguise for thieves...

ReputationRep:
    I like beanies It's just, I was looking for something with facial coverage.
    ... something like a beard?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was thinking about this, but figured it was just a bad idea...maybe cover your mouth and nose with a scarf and get a big hat? Or bathe in deep heat before you go out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Dear god, just whatever you do, don't wear both.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.