The Student Room Group

Just passed driving

guys what’s the best insurance to go with for cheap insurance and also is it true under 25s are never covered part of their policy to drive other cars except the policy one?
That completely depends on where you live, what kind of car, what kind of coverage you need. It's a question only an insurance comparison site can help you answer.
Yeah what's cheap for me might not be cheap for you, you really need to get a personal quote for it,

afaik most policies don't allow driving other cars at all, it's just probably even less likely for under 25/new drivers, but if you hunted you might still find an insurer that would allow it as some kind of added extra. (I went with Admiral my first few years and had no complaints)
were you a named driver on the policy or was it your policy?
Original post by naanybready

Me? It was my policy, but I didn't start driving till I was a good bit older (so my quotes prob were very different)

Are you the main driver of the car you wish to ensure? Then you must take an insurance policy in your name - you are NOT the named driver if this is the case and putting yourself down as one is known as fronting and is highly illegal.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Are you the main driver of the car you wish to ensure? Then you must take an insurance policy in your name - you are NOT the named driver if this is the case and putting yourself down as one is known as fronting and is highly illegal.

i’m joint main, so there’s me and one other person and it’s 50/50 we use it we’ve spoken to brokers so i already knew about that thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Blue_Cow

You can still be a named driver and the main user of the car (as a newly qualified driver) The insurance co will just bump the price up a bit. It is only 'fronting' if you falsely state a more experienced driver is the main driver (fraud/false statement)

It is usually the owner of the car who has to be the policy holder.

Do check levels of cover because not every insurance cover offer third party cover to drive vehicles not belonging to you - and many now prohibit 3rd party to those owned by family members because of fraud, or recovery of vehicles from police impounding.

You could say nothing really matters until its a big claim and then they can throw the book at you. The insurance company will pay out for your mistakes and then will claim it back from you in a civil claim (& probably bankrupt you)

Admiral, Bewiser, Marmalade, Adrian Flux - but sometimes just go for absolute rock bottom price, drive minimal miles, don't contact the insurance company for trivial matters/adjustments, get a year under your driving belt, then protect your NCB.
guys what’s the best insurance to go with for cheap insurance and also is it true under 25s are never covered part of their policy to drive other cars except the policy one?

There is good advice for young drivers on the MoneySavingExpert website. Read the advice and then try using the site's comparison tool:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/young-drivers/

Quick Reply

Latest