Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Selling on ebay..anyone answer a few questions for me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok well I have bought quite a few things off ebay, via paypal, but i have never sold anything. I have quite a few questions so if any of you have experience selling stuff on ebay any help would be great.

Ok firstly, you have to kind of upgrade your ebay account to sell stuff, do you have to pay some kind of monthly fee to sell items or do you only pay the fees relating to listing your auctions and the % ebay takes from your sale price?

Secondly assuming the buyer of my items pays via paypal, does ebay take their cut automatically? Say i sell something for £20 including P&P(to make it easy) and ebay's cut is like £1.10( i think they take like 5.3% of the first £25 for media items then 3% after that), do i get £18.90 in my paypal or do i get the full £20 THEN ebay takes £1.10from the debit card i used to sign up to ebay?

Thirdly what do you do if you are scammed? Say i sell a 360 game, post it off first class(people usually use first class it seems), then the person says they never got it when they did. What do i do? My friend told me you kind of write your own returns policy and most people write that if the buyer wont pay extra for recorded delivery they are not responsible for losses in post and not responsible for damage. Is this the done thing, because i'm not sure how you'd deal with say the 360 game being broken in transit... I assume you'd ask for a photo or something.

If anyone could answer those three and then maybe also just add other comments you think would be helpful to me that would be great, i want to sell quite a few old games but i'm nervous of using ebay LMAO.:p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok firstly, you have to kind of upgrade your ebay account to sell stuff, do you have to pay some kind of monthly fee to sell items or do you only pay the fees relating to listing your auctions and the % ebay takes from your sale price?
    No monthly fee. You just have to put your credit/debit card on file. Ebay takes from you a final value fee and listing fee and paypal takes a transaction fee.

Secondly assuming the buyer of my items pays via paypal, does ebay take their cut automatically? Say i sell something for £20 including P&P(to make it easy) and ebay's cut is like £1.10( i think they take like 5.3% of the first £25 for media items then 3% after that), do i get £18.90 in my paypal or do i get the full £20 THEN ebay takes £1.10from the debit card i used to sign up to ebay?
    Ebay take their cut immediately after the auction finishes. This final value fee is added to your seller fees. I dont know the breakdown of the fees so you may have to check it up. The payment recieved from the ebay buyer will be the full amount minus the paypal transaction fee. Ebay fees get charged separately

Thirdly what do you do if you are scammed? Say i sell a 360 game, post it off first class(people usually use first class it seems), then the person says they never got it when they did. What do i do? My friend told me you kind of write your own returns policy and most people write that if the buyer wont pay extra for recorded delivery they are not responsible for losses in post and not responsible for damage. Is this the done thing, because i'm not sure how you'd deal with say the 360 game being broken in transit... I assume you'd ask for a photo or something.
    Always when posting items get a proof of postage or even better recorded delivery. This way when the buyer claims he never recieved it you have proof that you actually sent it. Even if you have your own returns policy paypal resolutions can always get past it. Say if a seller puts a no returns policy on their listings, if a buyer gets the item but is not happy with it (say if its fake) the buyer can open a dispute with the seller and paypal will investigate.

Broken in transit would probably need photo evidence tho this has never happened during my last 300 sales.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I've not received a few items I've got, asked the seller about it and they've said they've sent it - I've never done anything about this despite the fact it was things that were about £15 each (games, like you're selling). I think most people would probably do nothing.

Ebay charges you for posting the ad I believe.

ReputationRep:
    You do not need to upgrade your account to a seller account if you want to sell. But if you wanted to upgrade your account, then you will need to pay (I think a basic shop is now £14.99 a month).

When you look in your "eBay account", eBay usually takes off the money someone has paid after an item has been sold. When they do this, you need to press a button on the page which says "make a one-time payment".

See above point on eBay, Paypal also take a share of the money too. This can be seen in your paypal account.

You report the problem to eBay. In addition, if it was a 360 game, I'd post it recorded and get proof of posting. You could state in your description that you would not be held responsible for the game being broken in the post. Mind you, if you did post it, you would obviously pack it very well.

One thing though, I've been having problems with eBay. As a seller, I'm not able to leave neutral or negative feedback, as eBay thinks it helps buyers be honest etc. So be careful, people do take advantage of small sellers. I hope the above helps you.

ReputationRep:
    ok ok so just to get it right in my lil ed:p:

Lets say I sell for £20 plus postage, paypal takes a lil bit and that appears somewhere in my paypal account?( a mention that they have taken say 3% of the money is a fee?). Ebay's cut such as price of listing then their cut of sale price is somewhere in my account which I have to click, send payment to them?

Also do I pay the listing fee the instant a list it, I know you pay listing fee even if your auction doesn't go through(like no bidders)?

Also bar recorded delivery how do i get a proof of postage? Is it from the post office when I go their go get the game weighed and pay for postage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)

Lets say I sell for £20 plus postage, paypal takes a lil bit and that appears somewhere in my paypal account?( a mention that they have taken say 3% of the money is a fee?). Ebay's cut such as price of listing then their cut of sale price is somewhere in my account which I have to click, send payment to them?

Yes this sounds right.

Also do I pay the listing fee the instant a list it, I know you pay listing fee even if your auction doesn't go through(like no bidders)?

No, you can pay it at the end of the auction with everything else. If you relist the item, usually eBay will not charge you for relisting if you have sold the item the next time.

Also bar recorded delivery how do i get a proof of postage? Is it from the post office when I go their go get the game weighed and pay for postage?
    You ask them at the desk when you take your item(s) to the post office. I would always get proof of posting with all items you sell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)

You wont recieve £20+p+p in your paypal balance. You will get something like 21.73 if the item had £4 postage. You can see the transaction details and see that a fee is taken off.

With your seller fees it should be on the left hand side of myebay page. You can pay these by paypal or setup your card to pay for it.

You dont pay for your seller fees instantly. You can pay them when you want but expect multiple emails if you take too long. If the item has no bids by the end you only pay the listing fee which is like 15p.

When posting the item just ask the person on the counter to give proof of postage. This is basically writing the address on your sales reciept and stamping it with a date stamp.

ReputationRep:
    ok tyvm guys.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.