The Student Room Group

revision techniques for autistic people?

i am autistic and this year i’m going into year 13. i am very worried about my exams this year because i am very bad at revising. i have never been able to do it well and no study techniques which i see online work for me. in the past i have just avoided revising and luckily i managed to get good grades for most of my subjects at gcse but i’m not very confident for a-level.

i want to go to university (for fashion, hopefully) but since i only do two a-levels (my college let me do korean as my third subject even though it isn’t an a-level because i’ve been learning it for five years and it is my special interest but i will still sit an exam in the end. this exam won’t factor towards any ucas points though from what i’m aware) i’m worried about my chances unless i do well. i am predicted an a* in fashion which i’m not worried about since it’s a creative subject so i don’t have to revise and i know i’ll do well since i am already receiving that grade, but i am very worried about sociology since in order to go to the uni that i want to i need at least an a.

i have tried so many methods but nothing ever works for me - i’ve tried anki flashcards, pomodoro technique, mindmaps exc but nothing works for me. a big part of the problem is how my sociology textbook is since there is not really a very good summary for each page which tells me the things that i need to know for the exam. instead i have to read the entire page and try to memorise it all since i don’t know which info is actually useful.

does anyone know any good study techniques for people with autism to revise sociology??? any good sociology revision materials so that i dont have to use my textbook?
Hello! I'm an autistic woman studying at university (master's program), so maybe I can offer you some advice. For me a dealbreaker was to find out what kind of reviser I am. You probably already heard about this concept of there being social revisers who best remember stuff they talked about in a group, auditive learners who need to listen to stuff, visual learners and so on. Depending on which kind of learner you are, other kinds of revision work for you.
I also had to create a routine around my studying. I always study at the same two or three places (my dorm room, the uni library, this one café that sells the best cookies in town) and I literally can't focus anywhere else. This routine also involves my sensory needs. On bad sensory days I go to the library, because it's super quiet there. On days where I need additional sensory input I study at the café.
I also find it easier to revise stuff when I know why I need to revise it. Knowing there is an exam coming up doesn't do much for me, motivation-wise. I need to know exactly how this is going to help me with my carreer or with aspects of my degree that I find more interesting. Finding such reasons is very helpful for me.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending