The Student Room Group

uni application special consideration

i am autistic so when picking my a-levels my college let me pick two a-level subjects and then have a timetabled slot where i self study korean since i have been learning it for five years and it is my special interest. i’m going into year 13 now and will be starting to apply to universities soon but i am getting a little worried since i’m not sure if some unis will except me if i just have two a-levels. i will be sitting an official korean exam at the same time that i do my a-level exams, so i will have proof that this is how i have been spending my time instead of a third a-level.

i was wondering if, since i’ll have an exam result for my korean as well as my two a-levels, some unis may lower grade boundaries because of this? does anyone have experience applying to uni after doing a similar thing?

my goal uni is manchester met studying fashion
I would call Manchester Met's admissions team to explain your cicurmstances and see what they say, if I were you. They may make a tarriff points based offer, because the entry requirement is 104-106 UCAS points, depends what your qualifications are worth and how good the portfolio is, but I don't want to say with certaintly what they will or won't do because I could be wrong, which is why you should phone admissions to ask.
I suppose it would be dependent on your ucas points, you could very well reach the entry requirements with just 2 a levels provided you got high grades, they may still take AS level points into account too so that would get you a little closer. Some universities have widening participation schemes, I’m not sure if autism alone would qualify, you might need other extenuating factors e.g where you live, what school you went to, whether your parents went to uni, but it would be worth a look. To put your Korean qualification on your application you would need to get a predicted grade otherwise it wouldn’t usually be taken into consideration.
Reply 3
Original post by Master0fReality
I would call Manchester Met's admissions team to explain your cicurmstances and see what they say, if I were you. They may make a tarriff points based offer, because the entry requirement is 104-106 UCAS points, depends what your qualifications are worth and how good the portfolio is, but I don't want to say with certaintly what they will or won't do because I could be wrong, which is why you should phone admissions to ask.

i’m going to an open day in november, so do you know if i’d be able to speak to the admissions team then?
most universities if not all require 3 a levels/equivalent but it can come down to ucas points also. I would speak to someone at the uni admissions and ask them about their specific entry requirements
Original post by bdhdjsjsj
i’m going to an open day in november, so do you know if i’d be able to speak to the admissions team then?

Most likely, if not you can always email them :smile:
Most Unis will expect 3 A levels.

Look at an Art & Design Foundation Diploma to get you the full entry requirements - this would also gives you the facilities and staff expertise for building a portfolio as required for admission to most Fashion courses - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Most Unis will expect 3 A levels.

Look at an Art & Design Foundation Diploma to get you the full entry requirements - this would also gives you the facilities and staff expertise for building a portfolio as required for admission to most Fashion courses - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas

i already have all the knowledge that i would learn from a foundation course though, and i have a portfolio sorted already too which is still expanding. i did fashion at gcse where i got a 9 and i am doing it at a-level now where i’m currently working at an a*.

i know that manchester met allows applications for fashion based on ucas points but i’m just worried that i won’t be able to get the ucas points required since i would need an a* and an a but i’m not as confident in my other subject (sociology) that i could get an a in it.

i made this post to ask if people have experience getting reduced grade boundaries after only doing two proper a-levels, not for info about foundation courses
i already have all the knowledge that i would learn from a foundation course though, and i have a portfolio sorted already too which is still expanding. i did fashion at gcse where i got a 9 and i am doing it at a-level now where i’m currently working at an a*.

i know that manchester met allows applications for fashion based on ucas points but i’m just worried that i won’t be able to get the ucas points required since i would need an a* and an a but i’m not as confident in my other subject (sociology) that i could get an a in it.

i made this post to ask if people have experience getting reduced grade boundaries after only doing two proper a-levels, not for info about foundation courses

Could you do an EPQ in year 13 to boost your points? It's worth half an A level. Not all unis take them into consideration but quite a lot of 'points' unis (as opposed to those that state grades) do accept EPQ. If you're already doing a creative course, you could do the artefact with the shorter report.
Reply 9
Original post by normaw
Could you do an EPQ in year 13 to boost your points? It's worth half an A level. Not all unis take them into consideration but quite a lot of 'points' unis (as opposed to those that state grades) do accept EPQ. If you're already doing a creative course, you could do the artefact with the shorter report.

i had applied to do an epq but i found it too difficult with the way that the teachers explained it so i had to drop it in the end. because of my autism i need things explained to me quite specifically so i found it really difficult with how vague they were being and no videos online were helping me
i had applied to do an epq but i found it too difficult with the way that the teachers explained it so i had to drop it in the end. because of my autism i need things explained to me quite specifically so i found it really difficult with how vague they were being and no videos online were helping me

I think your best bet would definitely be to contact the university, asides from clearing or widening participation, it’s not very often that they will lower grade boundaries. If you’re set on the course, and they won’t lower the grades, most tariff point unis have a range for their entry requirements, so there’s no guarantee your offer would be at the minimum accepted, you could always apply through clearing if they enter, or you could defer a year until you have your Korean grade and would meet the entry requirements :smile:
i am autistic so when picking my a-levels my college let me pick two a-level subjects and then have a timetabled slot where i self study korean since i have been learning it for five years and it is my special interest. i’m going into year 13 now and will be starting to apply to universities soon but i am getting a little worried since i’m not sure if some unis will except me if i just have two a-levels. i will be sitting an official korean exam at the same time that i do my a-level exams, so i will have proof that this is how i have been spending my time instead of a third a-level.

i was wondering if, since i’ll have an exam result for my korean as well as my two a-levels, some unis may lower grade boundaries because of this? does anyone have experience applying to uni after doing a similar thing?

Hi @bdhdjsjsj!

I would recommend contacting the uni themselves directly and explaining your situation. Hopefully, you’ll get a clear answer from them. The BA Fashion webpage says “Please contact the University directly if you are unsure whether you meet the minimum entry requirements for the course.” There’s a “Contact Us” button at the top right of the Manchester Met BA Fashion webpage through which you can submit a course enquiry form.

Hope this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster physics graduate

Hi @bdhdjsjsj

For most of our Fashion courses we require 104-112 UCAS points which would typically be BBC/BCC at A Level if you are applying with 2 A Levels to achieve the UCAS tariff point you would need to achieve A*A. We also ask for a portfolio of work from you as well!

We recognise that some students will experience particular challenges in their lives which may have an adverse impact on their predicted grades and/or exam performance. We will therefore consider any issues raised when making decisions to ensure we are fair to all applicants. If you decide to apply to us at Manchester Met, and would like to make us aware of anything you would like us to take into consideration, please contact [email protected]

I hope this helps!

Carly :smile:
Have you looked into whether you could study for the Gold Arts Award. Like the EPQ this earns additional tariff points and might give you some additional flexibility (and less pressure) on your A level grades.
Much of the work you’re doing on your portfolio will likely also be able to be used towards an arts award.

(Also an art foundation diploma is a bridging course not a repeat of A level content. It’s designed to bridge between A levels and first year of a degree for creative courses - the final project is marked at 1st year degree standard - it’s specifically designed like this because A levels often aren’t good preparation for creative degrees. MMU also offer a FAD as well as their degrees, I would strongly recommend that you look into the course and don’t write it off, particularly if your autism makes it difficult for you to do EPQ style independent projects - the EPQ is very similar to how you’re expected to work in a degree)
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
Have you looked into whether you could study for the Gold Arts Award. Like the EPQ this earns additional tariff points and might give you some additional flexibility (and less pressure) on your A level grades.
Much of the work you’re doing on your portfolio will likely also be able to be used towards an arts award.

(Also an art foundation diploma is a bridging course not a repeat of A level content. It’s designed to bridge between A levels and first year of a degree for creative courses - the final project is marked at 1st year degree standard - it’s specifically designed like this because A levels often aren’t good preparation for creative degrees. MMU also offer a FAD as well as their degrees, I would strongly recommend that you look into the course and don’t write it off, particularly if your autism makes it difficult for you to do EPQ style independent projects - the EPQ is very similar to how you’re expected to work in a degree)

what is a gold arts award and how do you go about doing it? it’s the first time that i’ve heard of that
what is a gold arts award and how do you go about doing it? it’s the first time that i’ve heard of that

A Google search will bring up information on the course and providers
Coming late to this I know (and I would hope you've spoken to admissions by this point) but I can't see any suggestions that you check out the status of the Korean qualification in terms of UCAS points.
Reply 17
Original post by dirtmother
Coming late to this I know (and I would hope you've spoken to admissions by this point) but I can't see any suggestions that you check out the status of the Korean qualification in terms of UCAS points.

there is no ucas points for this qualification

Quick Reply

Latest