The Student Room Group

What to do with life

Hi, I really need help I finished sixth form like over a month ago and was so sad as I loved it. I applied to university for childrens nursing but only got one offer for childrens nursing in Manchester at first I thought great but now I think it is too far away and I’m not sure I can afford it. I was hoping to try to go into clearing for Northumbria as it’s closer to me but I recently had work experience in a ward in the hospital and hated it it’s totally put me off nursing as I don’t think I’m confident enough to work on a ward. I have decided to apply for apprenticeships within the police or accounting but they don’t interest me as much as healthcare jobs. I liked the idea of being a physiotherapist or radiographer but have no idea how to get to that. I can’t decide whether to have a gap year and see what happens or go to uni and just get a degree. All my friends are going to uni and I feel like if I have a gap year I’m going to get left behind and become kind of stuck in the same position/ situation. HELP
Original post by miawez123
Hi, I really need help I finished sixth form like over a month ago and was so sad as I loved it. I applied to university for childrens nursing but only got one offer for childrens nursing in Manchester at first I thought great but now I think it is too far away and I’m not sure I can afford it. I was hoping to try to go into clearing for Northumbria as it’s closer to me but I recently had work experience in a ward in the hospital and hated it it’s totally put me off nursing as I don’t think I’m confident enough to work on a ward. I have decided to apply for apprenticeships within the police or accounting but they don’t interest me as much as healthcare jobs. I liked the idea of being a physiotherapist or radiographer but have no idea how to get to that. I can’t decide whether to have a gap year and see what happens or go to uni and just get a degree. All my friends are going to uni and I feel like if I have a gap year I’m going to get left behind and become kind of stuck in the same position/ situation. HELP

hey, it might be better to potentially take a gap year if you have absolutely no idea what you want to do, and then figure it out
than to potentially join or take a course you end up hating which would cause a lot more trouble

dont worry about being left behind, looads of people take gap years and usually they try out different sectors that theyre interested in to figure out if they like it or not
but if you dont want to do a gap year then id say just pick the course youre happiest in
Clearing should be your next option obviously. Apply for unis that are closer to you but at the same time, you should talk to yourself whether you’re ready to go ahead with your uni.
Take a gap-year, get a job in a care-home or similar, and think about you do actually want to do, and why.

Nowhere does it say you have to go to Uni - and many people dont find 'their' job/career straight from school, so don't worry about this. Just get a job and go from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending