The Student Room Group

advanced higher maths a year early

Just finished S4 and going into S5 after summer. I am taking higher maths this year but I already know the entire course. I was wondering If anybody knows if it would be possible for me to sit the advanced higher maths exam at the end of S5 instead of S6. I have already started learning parts of the advanced higher maths course just out of interest. Let me know if anyone has done something similar to this before.
I was actually in a similar postion as you are a year ago when i was in s5. I was at a faster pace than my classmates throughout the course and the teacher actually asked if i want to do advanced higher maths on top of (or was it instead of) higher maths, but i declined since i just moved to the UK back then and didn't want to underestimate the course and risk getting a C. Ended up getting an A in higher and was also cruising through the AH course back in transition. I would say go for it only if you think it won't mess up the grades you need for uni/college. Doing AH Maths a year early should be possible in terms of getting the school's approval
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rottero_A21
I was actually in a similar postion as you are a year ago when i was in s5. I was at a faster pace than my classmates throughout the course and the teacher actually asked if i want to do advanced higher maths on top of (or was it instead of) higher maths, but i declined since i just moved to the UK back then and didn't want to underestimate the course and risk getting a C. Ended up getting an A in higher and was also cruising through the AH course back in transition. I would say go for it only if you think it won't mess up the grades you need for uni/college. Doing AH Maths a year early should be possible in terms of getting the school's approval

Thanks for the response, this was helpful.
I’ve just taken advanced higher maths in S5 and achieved an A1 grade. I was studying with a class of S6s.

This was only possible as I self taught higher maths in S4 (sat in a Nat 5 class and could occasionally ask for help from teacher). I,however, do not now have Nat 5 maths although I guess this doesn’t matter.

I attend a state school and I was the first pupil in the school to have done this. As long as the teachers could see I was coping, they were happy.
Original post by Blobfish12345
I’ve just taken advanced higher maths in S5 and achieved an A1 grade. I was studying with a class of S6s.

This was only possible as I self taught higher maths in S4 (sat in a Nat 5 class and could occasionally ask for help from teacher). I,however, do not now have Nat 5 maths although I guess this doesn’t matter.

I attend a state school and I was the first pupil in the school to have done this. As long as the teachers could see I was coping, they were happy.

hey same here lol, i got a B because i had 3 months to do all of AH maths, it was ok to be fair. if only i had more time

Quick Reply

Latest