The Student Room Group

Hi anyone else heading into year 10?

Just wondering because I am.
I wanna say hi and what are your aims for year 10 and if older students could go back to now, what would you change???

I don’t have a clue what forum this goes in.

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I am also heading into Year 10 and it really doesn't feel like it. Time's gone so fast and it feels like yesterday that I was starting secondary school.
My aims for Year 10 would probably be to keep on top of my studies which I always have done but especially now that I've done a term of my GCSE's and now I must continue to stay focused since the bulk of GCSE content comes in Year 10. I aim to work very hard for my mocks (which in my school we have in May of Year 10) to get the top grades and I will also seek a lot of teacher feedback throughout the year.
What are your aims for next year?
Reply 2
Original post by BibliophileLibra
Hi! I am also heading into Year 10 and it really doesn't feel like it. Time's gone so fast and it feels like yesterday that I was starting secondary school.
My aims for Year 10 would probably be to keep on top of my studies which I always have done but especially now that I've done a term of my GCSE's and now I must continue to stay focused since the bulk of GCSE content comes in Year 10. I aim to work very hard for my mocks (which in my school we have in May of Year 10) to get the top grades and I will also seek a lot of teacher feedback throughout the year.
What are your aims for next year?

Time has gone wayyy too fast - I keep referring to my little brother as 7 years old - he is going into year 7:eek:
Im really excited for year 10 especially because trips start up again!!
For next year, I want to stay a bit more organised to achieve my same high marks but I like messy because it makes me feel good and busy - my anyone else?? I really want to improve in geography because I don’t even know where I’m going wrong. What did you choose for gcse? I am doing:
English Language
English literature
Maths
Triple science
Geography
Dt
Chinese
Computer science

I also want to keep my friendships good as well and figure out how to interact with people I don’t like.

I’m really excited for the enrichment sessions my school does as part of the timetable because they sound fun. What does your school do as part of the non examined thingy?
Yeah, I'm going into year 10, still feels like I'm in year 7-8 due to COVID. I'm really hoping to get As and Bs in my GCSEs as I'm planning on doing psychology in college/university and becoming a psychologist. I'm taking maths, english lang + lit, triple science, history, french and religious studies, and I'm expected As in most (other grades are an A+ in RS and a C in Maths), psychology GCSE was not an option at my school as it is relatively small and no teachers are qualified to teach it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Inc3me
Time has gone wayyy too fast - I keep referring to my little brother as 7 years old - he is going into year 7:eek:
Im really excited for year 10 especially because trips start up again!!
For next year, I want to stay a bit more organised to achieve my same high marks but I like messy because it makes me feel good and busy - my anyone else?? I really want to improve in geography because I don’t even know where I’m going wrong. What did you choose for gcse? I am doing:
English Language
English literature
Maths
Triple science
Geography
Dt
Chinese
Computer science

I also want to keep my friendships good as well and figure out how to interact with people I don’t like.

I’m really excited for the enrichment sessions my school does as part of the timetable because they sound fun. What does your school do as part of the non examined thingy?

For GCSE's I am doing:
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Triple Science
Geography
Spanish
Drama
Religious Studies
and I think Further Maths since top set has the lessons for it from the middle of Year 10 and then I'm not sure if you have an option to not sit the exam and I'm pretty sure I want to do Maths for A-level which is who Further Maths is recommened for so I think I'll probably sit the exam for Further too.

I think I'm a pretty organised person but at the same time I do kinda see myself as messy because when I have the pretty big tests that come up which are 3 times a year for each subject, my revision notes are pretty messy and disorganised (I'm not really sure where most of them are rn) but I bought some folders from Amazon and I'm gonna start using them in Year 10 to put my revision notes in and keep them in one place so I won't hate myself in Year 11. I also feel the same way as you about Geography, I hate it so far- my least fav subject because of my teacher being too soft and my class being obnoxious so I have to go over everything for the topic again when a test comes up since I don't get anything out of the lessons and the tests are pretty challenging but past papers are the way to combat that.

I agree with you on keeping friendships good and I'm inspired by wanting to figure out how to interact with ppl you don't like and I might just try that myself cause recently I was thinking that there's stuff to learn from everyone, even ppl I don't like and for example if they only show up a certain time- when they want smt from me and use me. But it's made me realise that interactions with ppl are really complex and I just need to learn to be smart with it and shut myself ayway if I need to.

In my school we just have our 50 timetabled lessons across a fortnight (5 a day) but we have quite a lot of extra-cirricular activities during lunchtimes or after school. For example we used to have a KS3 Science club which I used to go to at the start of Year 9 and not that many people came and it was really nice to go there and just mess about with my friends.
Reply 5
Original post by niamhjaynepac
Yeah, I'm going into year 10, still feels like I'm in year 7-8 due to COVID. I'm really hoping to get As and Bs in my GCSEs as I'm planning on doing psychology in college/university and becoming a psychologist. I'm taking maths, english lang + lit, triple science, history, french and religious studies, and I'm expected As in most (other grades are an A+ in RS and a C in Maths), psychology GCSE was not an option at my school as it is relatively small and no teachers are qualified to teach it.

I don’t even remember year 7 mostly.
That’s sooooo cool that you have an aim for life - psychology gcse exists?? I didn’t know that :^_^:. I thought that only school subjects we were taking exists haha.

I’m kind of hoping for all 9s because I feel like I can do it.
My friend used to go to a school which only had like 8 people in her class - small classes are nice but not that small. Yours??
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Inc3me
Just wondering because I am.
I wanna say hi and what are your aims for year 10 and if older students could go back to now, what would you change???

I don’t have a clue what forum this goes in.

Hi!
Im going into year 11 in September and I can give you some of my advice.
If you’re doing a short course meaning you’ll do your exam in year 10 then pls revise from early on I slacked off and started pretty late and now wishI had started earlier
Also on the same topic of revising make sure you do revise for your topic tests and your end of year mocks just so that you’re confident that you have a technique for year 11 and won’t have that added stress of making the materials and revising them in year 11
Start making your revision materials as you go so then you can relax more over summer and in year 11. Rn i’m doing my revision materials for english and it is not fun lol.
You can still have a life and revise so don’t worry about that you’ll figure it out.
If you need help ask for it and use your teachers to your advantage, for example get them to mark practice essays for you so you know that that’s a skill you won’t have to practice as much.
I think that’s all, have fun and good luck :smile:
Reply 7
For GCSE's I am doing:
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Triple Science
Geography
Spanish
Drama
Religious Studies
and I think Further Maths since top set has the lessons for it from the middle of Year 10 and then I'm not sure if you have an option to not sit the exam and I'm pretty sure I want to do Maths for A-level which is who Further Maths is recommened for so I think I'll probably sit the exam for Further too.

I think I'm a pretty organised person but at the same time I do kinda see myself as messy because when I have the pretty big tests that come up which are 3 times a year for each subject, my revision notes are pretty messy and disorganised (I'm not really sure where most of them are rn) but I bought some folders from Amazon and I'm gonna start using them in Year 10 to put my revision notes in and keep them in one place so I won't hate myself in Year 11. I also feel the same way as you about Geography, I hate it so far- my least fav subject because of my teacher being too soft and my class being obnoxious so I have to go over everything for the topic again when a test comes up since I don't get anything out of the lessons and the tests are pretty challenging but past papers are the way to combat that.

I agree with you on keeping friendships good and I'm inspired by wanting to figure out how to interact with ppl you don't like and I might just try that myself cause recently I was thinking that there's stuff to learn from everyone, even ppl I don't like and for example if they only show up a certain time- when they want smt from me and use me. But it's made me realise that interactions with ppl are really complex and I just need to learn to be smart with it and shut myself ayway if I need to.

In my school we just have our 50 timetabled lessons across a fortnight (5 a day) but we have quite a lot of extra-cirricular activities during lunchtimes or after school. For example we used to have a KS3 Science club which I used to go to at the start of Year 9 and not that many people came and it was really nice to go there and just mess about with my friends.

Yaaaayyyyyy an add maths buddy, im taking add maths and I’m top set as well! Did you do the junior + intermediate maths challenge +kangaroos from year 6?? I did and year 8 I got gold+ kangaroo qualify and intermediate silver + kangaroo qualify.

I just bought 3 big folders for my sciences (since they need to be big lever arch files - there are wayyy too many notes. And just about managed to sort everything because I never organised since year 7. My friend looked through my folders once and there was physics in history and r/s in biology haha - it’s because I am very bad at leaving class. Once I wasn’t last out and the teacher congratulated me :rofl:

I am very lucky to be around mostly nice people because I sometimes mess up with words badly but I manage to fix it in the end because I say something and mean something completely different.
Interactions are really complex and I’m sort of good at seeing the bad in people very quickly and predicting then people think I’m being unreasonable till I’m right. Meep

Your school timetabling is very different from mine we have 8 40 min lessons a day and they are changing the timing of lunch and afternoon break now so I don’t know much more.

I like geography but you are VERY right about how having a bad teacher changes everyyything :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by chrryblsm
Hi!
Im going into year 11 in September and I can give you some of my advice.
If you’re doing a short course meaning you’ll do your exam in year 10 then pls revise from early on I slacked off and started pretty late and now wishI had started earlier
Also on the same topic of revising make sure you do revise for your topic tests and your end of year mocks just so that you’re confident that you have a technique for year 11 and won’t have that added stress of making the materials and revising them in year 11
Start making your revision materials as you go so then you can relax more over summer and in year 11. Rn i’m doing my revision materials for english and it is not fun lol.
You can still have a life and revise so don’t worry about that you’ll figure it out.
If you need help ask for it and use your teachers to your advantage, for example get them to mark practice essays for you so you know that that’s a skill you won’t have to practice as much.
I think that’s all, have fun and good luck :smile:

Thank you!! This will help a lot.

And very much luck for year 11!!
Original post by Inc3me
Yaaaayyyyyy an add maths buddy, im taking add maths and I’m top set as well! Did you do the junior + intermediate maths challenge +kangaroos from year 6?? I did and year 8 I got gold+ kangaroo qualify and intermediate silver + kangaroo qualify.

I just bought 3 big folders for my sciences (since they need to be big lever arch files - there are wayyy too many notes. And just about managed to sort everything because I never organised since year 7. My friend looked through my folders once and there was physics in history and r/s in biology haha - it’s because I am very bad at leaving class. Once I wasn’t last out and the teacher congratulated me :rofl:

I am very lucky to be around mostly nice people because I sometimes mess up with words badly but I manage to fix it in the end because I say something and mean something completely different.
Interactions are really complex and I’m sort of good at seeing the bad in people very quickly and predicting then people think I’m being unreasonable till I’m right. Meep

Your school timetabling is very different from mine we have 8 40 min lessons a day and they are changing the timing of lunch and afternoon break now so I don’t know much more.

I like geography but you are VERY right about how having a bad teacher changes everyyything :smile:

Hey Maths buddy, I did do the UKMT Maths challenges since Year 7 and in Year 7 I got bronze, Year 8 Silver, Year 9 Gold and best in Year and then I did Grey Kangaroo and got qualification- 5 marks off Merit 😓

Do you do your work on loose paper in lessons at your school and have to put them in folders? We have classwork books for each subject so the stuff stays in them.
Reply 10
Hey Maths buddy, I did do the UKMT Maths challenges since Year 7 and in Year 7 I got bronze, Year 8 Silver, Year 9 Gold and best in Year and then I did Grey Kangaroo and got qualification- 5 marks off Merit 😓

Do you do your work on loose paper in lessons at your school and have to put them in folders? We have classwork books for each subject so the stuff stays in them.

Best in year is incredible!!!
Having missed a target by an extremely tiny bit is the woorrrsssttt - it’s soo annoying.

For some subjects we do loose paper work and some we have books. It depends on subject I guess
Original post by Inc3me
Best in year is incredible!!!
Having missed a target by an extremely tiny bit is the woorrrsssttt - it’s soo annoying.

For some subjects we do loose paper work and some we have books. It depends on subject I guess

Thank you!! I agree, if I only got one more question right I would have gotten merit but the fact that I missed my target by a small amount means I'm putting in more effort these holidays to do past papers and learn from explanations.

What's your fav subject(s)?
Reply 12
Thank you!! I agree, if I only got one more question right I would have gotten merit but the fact that I missed my target by a small amount means I'm putting in more effort these holidays to do past papers and learn from explanations.

What's your fav subject(s)?

Mine are Physics Chemistry Maths and DT

Can’t choose between them yet
Original post by Inc3me
Mine are Physics Chemistry Maths and DT

Can’t choose between them yet

My fav ones also include Maths and Chemisty along with Spanish
Reply 14
My fav ones also include Maths and Chemisty along with Spanish

I find someone having a language as a favourite very cool - We were taught Spanish for some time in year 6 (before that I was at a different school with very bad teaching of Spanish) and I don’t remember a thing.

Then I chose French and Chinese for year 7 not Spanish haha
Reply 15
By the way is anyone scared of friendships getting hurt because of being in different classes because you chose different things?

Like I have two best friends and one just so happed to choose the exact things as me except 3D design instead of DT and my other one chose like “opposites”. I hope it doesn’t affect anything.:afraid:
Original post by Inc3me
By the way is anyone scared of friendships getting hurt because of being in different classes because you chose different things?

Like I have two best friends and one just so happed to choose the exact things as me except 3D design instead of DT and my other one chose like “opposites”. I hope it doesn’t affect anything.:afraid:

Omg yes I have one friend who is probably my closest one and she chose a few of the same stuff as me but we are not in any of the same classes together and it's quite sad and then my friendship has increased with this other friend I have because we're in the same class for 3 subjects so we're together quite a lot and in the last term hung out a lot at lunchtime.
Reply 17
Omg yes I have one friend who is probably my closest one and she chose a few of the same stuff as me but we are not in any of the same classes together and it's quite sad and then my friendship has increased with this other friend I have because we're in the same class for 3 subjects so we're together quite a lot and in the last term hung out a lot at lunchtime.

That sounds really similar to me now because I was in no classes with the friend who chose different things but the other one is similar to me a lot more.

We solved it by promising to always be at a spot and if one is not at the spot, that means they are
late or doing something. We got to the kind of garden with picnic benches in school and I love it there because it is quiet and unvisited of sorts! Do you have a spot with your friends??
Original post by Inc3me
My friend used to go to a school which only had like 8 people in her class - small classes are nice but not that small. Yours??

My school has around 5-600 people in it, which in the area I live in is quite small considering that about a 10 minute drive will take you to a school with 5000 students
Original post by Inc3me
That sounds really similar to me now because I was in no classes with the friend who chose different things but the other one is similar to me a lot more.

We solved it by promising to always be at a spot and if one is not at the spot, that means they are
late or doing something. We got to the kind of garden with picnic benches in school and I love it there because it is quiet and unvisited of sorts! Do you have a spot with your friends??

Yes I do actually, it's with the friend that is in my classes for 3 of my subjects and I think hanging out so regularly at that spot during lunchtimes made us closer. It was a place in the field next to a bunch of bushes so we could have some peace.

Quick Reply

Latest