The Student Room Group

hair dying - is this damaging

I have black hair
I want to give my hair 3/4 head of caramel honey highlights
will need bleach

is this very damaging?
if I let it all grow out and keep redoing it is it damaging? like if I let it all grow out and then keep dying the fresh hair - not rebleaching on top of bleached hair?
is it redamging if u keep bleaching new hair?
It is really damaging to your hair, bleach is damaging to any hair but particularly with black, just because of how much lift is needed. Depending on your hair type you could be looking at 2 maybe 3 sessions to get there, ideally spaced an absolute minimum of a couple weeks apart, preferably longer though, with some intense hair repair going on in the meantime! It’s doable but you’ll never have “healthy” hair again, there will always be a degree of damage
Original post by Sbjx
It is really damaging to your hair, bleach is damaging to any hair but particularly with black, just because of how much lift is needed. Depending on your hair type you could be looking at 2 maybe 3 sessions to get there, ideally spaced an absolute minimum of a couple weeks apart, preferably longer though, with some intense hair repair going on in the meantime! It’s doable but you’ll never have “healthy” hair again, there will always be a degree of damage

I have down half head of bleach a few times I didn't find it damaging.
But this time it's three quarters so nearly full head.
And she said they will dye the other quarter, not bleach but dye it a little so it all blends in

Why is it super damaging if u keep bleach new regenerated hair?
Reply 3
I have naturally dark hair, bleached blonde long just above my butt. No damage at all.

I manage to keep my hair from breaking because I don't use hot tools on it all that much. I find ways to style my hair without heat and probably use a straightener once a week. Years ago I bleached my hair it broke off because I was bleaching and using hot tools regularly.

So it depends on how you take care of it.
Original post by stickylikehoney
I have down half head of bleach a few times I didn't find it damaging.
But this time it's three quarters so nearly full head.
And she said they will dye the other quarter, not bleach but dye it a little so it all blends in

Why is it super damaging if u keep bleach new regenerated hair?

Bleach by nature will damage the hair, if you take good care of the hair and have a good routine you won’t notice the damage as much but it will still be there, it all depends on how slow you take it, how well you take care of the hair and what level of damage you can tolerate :smile:
Original post by Sbjx
Bleach by nature will damage the hair, if you take good care of the hair and have a good routine you won’t notice the damage as much but it will still be there, it all depends on how slow you take it, how well you take care of the hair and what level of damage you can tolerate :smile:

tbh, im not overly a fan of dyed hair.
I think most people suit their natural colour it is an unnatural concept.

I think now and again is ok for a change, what is the point of bleaching beautiful black hair and damaging it every 6 months when u have been blessed with a beautiful natural colour?!

Quick Reply

Latest