The Student Room Group

tips on making friends in 2nd year of university

anyone got any tips. I had a really bad first year staying in my dorm 24/7. I had really bad flat mates, they didn't really talk or talk to each other.

for the record I actually have 0 friends. making friends is really hard and exhausting and I hate being alone, I always feel sorry for myself. I'm missing out, I want to go drinking but I have no friends to go with. I don't like doing things alone. I'm also pretty insecure and don't know what to do about it.

I want to start to have friends and close friends. but I can't.
what can I do?
anyone have any tips?
Societies, societies and more societies.
If you don’t know anyone, best to meet people with the same interests as you, best thing is you can meet people outside of your course too!

Freshers is also a great time to meet people, so whilst its going, take advantage.

Also, I don’t know what uni you’re attending but my uni (UWE) when I attended helped its pupils by having cooking classes to help new students with easy cooking/budget cooking recipes.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Societies, societies and more societies.
If you don’t know anyone, best to meet people with the same interests as you, best thing is you can meet people outside of your course too!

Freshers is also a great time to meet people, so whilst its going, take advantage.

Also, I don’t know what uni you’re attending but my uni (UWE) when I attended helped its pupils by having cooking classes to help new students with easy cooking/budget cooking recipes.

yeah I understand societies, but the thing is I don't like turning up alone, not knowing anyone and people stop staring at me

I'm attending Coventry university and it's my second year of university
Original post by Anonymous
yeah I understand societies, but the thing is I don't like turning up alone, not knowing anyone and people stop staring at me

I'm attending Coventry university and it's my second year of university

No judging here but if you’re always afraid of what people will think of you because you’re there alone (why would they think that anyway and you’re just trying to meet new people, just don’t be super awkward and you’ll be fine), you will have issues as you’ll always be afraid of meeting new people over things which may or may not happen.

Happens all the time in the workplace going into a new job and being the new guy, not knowing anyone.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
No judging here but if you’re always afraid of what people will think of you because you’re there alone (why would they think that anyway and you’re not just trying to meet new people, just don’t be super awkward and you’ll be fine), you will have issues as you’ll always be afraid of meeting new people over things which may or may not happen.

Happens all the time in the workplace going into a new job and being the new guy, not knowing anyone.

you are correct, I just can't stop thinking in these situation, I think I have social anxiety because I get quite nervous.
Original post by Anonymous
you are correct, I just can't stop thinking in these situation, I think I have social anxiety because I get quite nervous.

Put it this way, it's WAAAY more awkward for me, I swear if I have a condition (don't know if this is an actual thing or not) where, if I'm thrown into a new job, it takes me MONTHS to learn people's names which is stupidly awkward...
So, I deliberately go out of my way and throw myself in there so, whenever I speak with someone, I'll mentally say their name 10-20 times to help it stick, doesn't always work though...

Quick Reply

Latest