The Student Room Group

can u take paracetamol if not in pain

i heard it can work as an antidepressant
Original post by Anonymous
i heard it can work as an antidepressant

Don’t believe everything you hear. Taking any medication without a sufficiently good reason is a bad idea and if you actually need antidepressants, a GP can prescribe you effective ones.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Don’t believe everything you hear. Taking any medication without a sufficiently good reason is a bad idea and if you actually need antidepressants, a GP can prescribe you effective ones.

alrighty
no it's a painkiller for pain for eg muscle pain, cramps etc. i don't think it works as an antidepressant.
I'm pretty sure if it worked as an antidepressant it would a) be prescribed for that and b) not be available over the counter.

might know more about how it actually works but I assume it functions by affecting sensory nerves rather than neurotransmitters in the brain? Although it's all connected of course...
Original post by artful_lounger
I'm pretty sure if it worked as an antidepressant it would a) be prescribed for that and b) not be available over the counter.

@ecolier might know more about how it actually works but I assume it functions by affecting sensory nerves rather than neurotransmitters in the brain? Although it's all connected of course...

there was like one study on it, but not much research and stuff to support it tho
Reply 6
Extremely bad idea, paracetamol erodes your stomach lining. There's a reason you're not supposed to take it for longer than 2-3 days in a row. That reason is peptic ulcers. Think having your GI tract ruined for life.

(For context, you generally need to take antidepressants for a month or more before you start seeing effects.)

You really need a GP to prescribe antidepressants. If for any unusual reason you can't access this through healthcare (or the waiting list is too long), there *is* some reputable, replicated evidence that passionflower and valerian have anti-anxiety and antidepressant effects. But be safe and do your research first.
(edited 1 year ago)
there was like one study on it, but not much research and stuff to support it tho

I mean that in itself seems to me a pretty strong indicator that it doesn't do that then, as if it did there would be LOTS of studies on it and a lot of research...
Original post by effj22
Extremely bad idea, paracetamol erodes your stomach lining. There's a reason you're not supposed to take it for longer than 2-3 days in a row. That reason is peptic ulcers. Think having your GI tract ruined for life. (For context, you generally need to take antidepressants for a month or more before you start seeing effects.)You really need a GP to prescribe antidepressants. If for any unusual reason you can't access this through healthcare (or the waiting list is too long), there *is* some reputable, replicated evidence that passionflower and valerian have anti-anxiety and antidepressant effects. But be safe and do your research first.

i thought it was ibroprufin that caused stomach issues
paracetamol seems safe if you don't exceed the recommended dose(which I think causes liver issues)
I mean that in itself seems to me a pretty strong indicator that it doesn't do that then, as if it did there would be LOTS of studies on it and a lot of research...

true
paracetamol seems safe if you don't exceed the recommended dose(which I think causes liver issues)

Well in any case someone who actually has a medical degree (not to mention all the training that comes after!) has now commented confirming it's not an antidepressant so it's a moot point.
(edited 1 year ago)
very true
Well in any case someone who actually has a medical degree (not to mention all the training that comes after!) has now commented confirming it's not an antidepressant so it's a moot point.

what does moot mean
Reply 13

They both cause stomach issues. Aspirin does too. They're all perfectly safe if taken short-term within the recommended dose, but GPs will only prescribe it for long-term use under supervision.

The other problem with acetaminophen/paracetamol is that compared to both aspirin and ibuprofen, it's extremely easy to overdose. That does indeed cause liver issues, including liver failure.
Original post by effj22
They both cause stomach issues. Aspirin does too. They're all perfectly safe if taken short-term within the recommended dose, but GPs will only prescribe it for long-term use under supervision.

The other problem with acetaminophen/paracetamol is that compared to both aspirin and ibuprofen, it's extremely easy to overdose. That does indeed cause liver issues, including liver failure.

not easy for me I suck at swallowing pills
thanks for the info
Reply 15
not easy for me I suck at swallowing pills
thanks for the info

Good luck, I really recommend you go to your GP! But again, if you're desperate, look into passionflower tea. It's safe (to the point Twinings make a chamomile and passionflower tea) and one of the few herbal remedies backed up by legit research.
:fyi: painkillers can be used for emotional pain too!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1991790220301203

yay science!

Quick Reply

Latest