The Student Room Group

how can i learn to speak spanish

i already understand it and can write and read it with the help of a dictionary however i can’t fully speak it so when i do it sort of sounds like someone speaking broken english. is this do do with my grammar or vocabulary or both?
Reply 1
It’s likely to be a bit of both, with you needing to think from English to Spanish and also not always having the vocabulary you need. Learning a language is a marathon not a sprint. Try some lessons with a native speaker teacher. It’s a relatively easy language to learn
(edited 1 year ago)
Watch the movie coco but with spanish subtitles, i became an experinced spanish speaker after i did that trust
Original post by michaela1600
i already understand it and can write and read it with the help of a dictionary however i can’t fully speak it so when i do it sort of sounds like someone speaking broken english. is this do do with my grammar or vocabulary or both?

If you understand it, it could be that you have a lot of passive vocabulary but not as much active vocabulary. If you know the basic tenses in terms of grammar, I’d say speak to natives. Depending on how old, you can do it on HelloTalk (minor, preferably), Tandem (older teen or young adult, preferably) or italki (adult) if you’re willing to pay for lessons.
Original post by AACHEM20
Watch the movie coco but with spanish subtitles, i became an experinced spanish speaker after i did that trust

haha that’s funny :tongue:
Original post by SagaciousSag
If you understand it, it could be that you have a lot of passive vocabulary but not as much active vocabulary. If you know the basic tenses in terms of grammar, I’d say speak to natives. Depending on how old, you can do it on HelloTalk (minor, preferably), Tandem (older teen or young adult, preferably) or italki (adult) if you’re willing to pay for lessons.

thanks i’ll deffo look into getting a pen pal of some sort :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest