The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Depend what you want to do and where you want to go, but the majority of them should be ok with it (I dropped maths before the end of AS level and got in fine to decent unis)
If you have a rough idea of what you are hoping to get at the end of A level and where you'd like to go, have a look at how many ucas points you need to do the courses you like and see if you're likely to get in that way. If you think you might need the extra points, it might be worth gritting your teeth and finishing the year doing BS!
The majority of university offers are made on 3 grades but... Some Universities prefer to see 3.5 or even 4 A-levels regardless of how many they ask for when offering.

Places such as Warwick usually ask for 3.5 so bear that in mind.
Reply 3
ok, I am hoping to study Computer Science at Uni, and what decent uni's offer 3 grades instead of 3.5?
Thanks

-Matin
I applied to do "Electronics with Computer Science"-type courses (different, yes, but similarly techy) at Southampton, Bristol, Sheffield, Nottingham and Leeds. Every offer I got was for 3 A-levels, with no mention of the AS's I took. So at face value, they don't matter. However, you have to realise that when you apply, your AS results and predicted grades are all you have, so the admissions tutors may well look for 4 if they want what they think of as "the cream of the crop".

Basically it probably won't matter, but be prepared with a line about why you didn't do four just in case they ask at interview. Alternatively, save yourself the worry and phone up the admissions tutors at wherever you're thinking of going. It really is their job at this time of year to answer queries like yours, and there's no better person to ask about what they'll be looking for.

Latest