Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going apply to Durham to do English, any advice on the best college to choose?
    I don't want to share a room, and I'd prefer self-catered but I'm not THAT bothered. I'm sort of between Collingwood and St Hild & St Bede.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Collingwood is harder to get into because so many people want to join. Just putting it out there :p:.

ReputationRep:
    oooh...perhaps I won't apply there then, haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y'anami!)
    Apparently Collingwood is harder to get into because so many people want to join. Just putting it out there :p:.
    I thought it was all about the Castle one (unless that is Collingwood :o: )

ReputationRep:
    I applied open as I have no college preference I would just like a place

ReputationRep:
    There's only one college does self-catering, that's Josephine Butler. And I think you might have to share a room in any college for at least one term, although it's less likely in Collingwood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y'anami!)
    I think you're getting confused with Castle (as so many people went to live in a castle) :p:

Anyway, I've moved this to the Durham subforum. OP, check out the FAQ, you should be able to get some summaries of the colleges there

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130882

If you would like a single room then it's best going for somewhere like Van Mildert. All the colleges are full board, as far as I'm aware, with the exception of Josephine Butler and Cuth's (Cuth's has a range of options, depending on where you live).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    There's only one college does self-catering, that's Josephine Butler. And I think you might have to share a room in any college for at least one term, although it's less likely in Collingwood.
    Thats the reason i applied to that college. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    my friend applied as "open" also, but I'm too picky haha. Josephine Butler says its really close to the science site so I'm thinking it'll be full of medicine students.
    hmm, decisions, decisions..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bessle)
    my friend applied as "open" also, but I'm too picky haha. Josephine Butler says its really close to the science site so I'm thinking it'll be full of medicine students.
    hmm, decisions, decisions..
    All of the hill colleges (including Collingwood) are closer to the science site (closer than JB). However, none of them will have medicine students as medicine isn't taught in Durham but, rather, Stockton.

Why, what's wrong with medicine students?

ReputationRep:
    nothing, I was just wondering where everybody else went if all the colleges were by the science site.
    Do you think self-catering is less social?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flairymclairy)
    I'm in my second year at Durham, and for the love of god don't go to Hild Bede. It is so far out of town you will either skip all your lectures or spend half your life walking. Collingwood would be way better. (I'm at Grey, right next to Collingwood, but I don't think this is coming from a particularly biased perspective, I am not THAT into Grey. I'm not one of those "OMG GREY IS BEST COS I GO THERE YEAH WOOPWOOP" )
    I'll forget St Hild if it's miles away D:
    what's grey like socially/accomation wise?

ReputationRep:
    oooh, that sounds good
    and the food?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=bessle]nothing, I was just wondering where everybody else went if all the colleges were by the science site[/QUOTE

Doesn't mean no arts students can go there. Also, as the FAQ will show you, the colleges are split into Bailey (centre of Durham, older and more traditional, Geogrian townhouses, around the historic pennisula/cathedral, close to arts departments) or Hill (20th century, largely post-war, modern, larger, by the science site).

As a general rule, the Bailey colleges (plus Hilde Bede) are closer to the arts departments and will have a higher number of arts and law students, the Hill colleges are by the science site and will therefore have a higher number of science/some social science students. But there's a mixture everywhere.

Variety is the spice of life.

I'll forget St Hild if it's miles away D:
    It's not miles away. nothing's miles away in Durham.

It's actually a lot closer to the centre of Durham and Elvet Riverside (the large lecture complex) than the Hill colleges, including Collingwood. It's about a five to ten minute walk to Elvet Riverside and the English department then fifteen minutes walk to the main library (at the science site)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    It's not miles away. nothing's miles away in Durham.
    That's such a good point, I'm thinking far too much about this.

ReputationRep:
    That's such a good point, I'm thinking far too much about this.
    Yes and that Hilde Bede is still as closer, if not closer, than many hill colleges.

Anyway, I think I'll leave this for now. I'll come back later once I'm on my laptop. I'm using my father's desktop at the moment (well, techincally it's ours as it's made from old parts of both our old ones) and it's buggering up, is slow and making my bugger me posts up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flairymclairy)
    Crap you walk fast! I would say easily 30 mins walk from main library to Hild Bede. As for 5-10 walk to Elvet Riverside... it takes me that long from where I live at the moment and thats like, near the New Inn.
    Or you could just be slow? :p:

I'm a guy, and pretty much six foot, so I probably do walk quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'3, that could present a problem :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    St Cuths also does self-catering as far as I'm aware - why I chose it!

ReputationRep:
    I demand a ban on these threads!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.