The Student Room Group

Does AS Level and A level have the same content

I am private candidate I am planning to take A level maths and maybe physics or chemistry and I was was wondering if they have the same modules
Original post by Ninjoz33
I am private candidate I am planning to take A level maths and maybe physics or chemistry and I was was wondering if they have the same modules

The content of AS is the first half of the content of the full A level. (for A levels in England)
(edited 1 year ago)
AS level has different content to A2. The combined content of both forms the whole A level. AS level will typically have “easier” modules with slightly less detail whereas A2 will typically be more detailed and generally harder. I can’t say for maths but the jump from AS to A2 chemistry is pretty big!
In England, the AS content forms the first half of the A level content but, if you are taking the A level, you don't need to take AS level exams - the whole A level is examined in A level exams at the end. The AS exams are only there for people stopping after the AS.

Elsewhere A level is split into AS and A2 with the AS forming the first half of the A level (with AS exams normally taken at the end of this) and A level testing the second half and (for some subjects at least) with synoptic elements asking questions across the whole A level. The A2 is not a qualification in its own right and you can't just take A2 exams.

Quick Reply

Latest