The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer

Does paying a deposit to secure a place means I am enrolled in the university? Can I still decline my place? Is there a difference if it is still within the 14 days that I have accepted the offer?
Also, do universities start to send DBS checks and anything similar although students havent register?
Thank you
(Original post by Thanks4helping)Does paying a deposit to secure a place means I am enrolled in the university? Can I still decline my place? Is there a difference if it is still within the 14 days that I have accepted the offer?
Also, do universities start to send DBS checks and anything similar although students havent register?
Thank you

Hi @Thanks4helping, Thanks for your question! I would recommend contacting the University you hold an offer for to confirm payment. If you hold an offer with LSBU and you are a Home/UK student, we wouldn't take any payment from you until you come to enrol in August. Regarding DBS - you would have needed to register and hold an offer before we conduct DBS check (assuming it is a Health Care related course).

Hope that helps!

LSBU
Undergrad or postgrad?
undergrad but is there a difference if it is postgrad?

if I choose to defer, can I apply using UCAS next year? I applied to this university through their applicant portal
(edited 1 year ago)
Enrolment is enrolment. You’re asked to agree to declarations and complete a formal online process. It isn’t a case of sending some cash by balance transfer.
What do you mean by that? Do you mean I cant decline my place now?
Original post by Thanks4helping
What do you mean by that? Do you mean I cant decline my place now?

If you haven't formally enrolled, then you haven't confirmed that you're attending yet, so yes, you can still decline your place.

However, you may not get your deposit back, depending on when you paid and the terms you agreed to.
What is formally enrolled?
Website said deposit is refundable, so I assume it is. But if it is not, I'm still under the 14 days cancellation period under UK law so I should be able to use this?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Thanks4helping
What if formally enrolled?
Website said deposit is refundable, so I assume it is. But if it is not, I'm still under the 14 days cancellation period under UK law so I should be able to use this?

If you've formally enrolled, (and you should know whether you've completed this process), you're potentially liable for tuition fees. Most unis will waive them if you contact them promptly and don't actually attend, but technically they could invoice you if they chose to, (again, most won't).

14 days cooling off - yes, you should be able to request a deposit refund.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending