The Student Room Group

do u have to do all the sciences (chem,bio,phy) to do A-Levels or get into 6th Form?

i have been told by fellow students in my class you have to do all the sciences to do a-level or get into 6th form, so can anyone confirm that u have to do all the sciences (chem,bio,phy) to do A-Levels or get into 6th Form?
Well at GCSEs you will do all the sciences anyway (you have no choice in the matter) and there will be minimum requirements for the grade you get on your Sciences, English and Maths in order to progress to do whatever sciences you want at A-level.

Also even if you did combined science which means all 3 sciences but reduced content in all 3 then you can still do A-level sciences but it is recommended to do triple if you want to do A-level.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by yasiin33
i have been told by fellow students in my class you have to do all the sciences to do a-level or get into 6th form, so can anyone confirm that u have to do all the sciences (chem,bio,phy) to do A-Levels or get into 6th Form?

Sorry - what are you asking? Do you mean do you have to take triple science GCSes to do A level sciences?
Reply 3

No, not true for most but it may hinder your chances in certain 6th forms who have specific requirements. I have a friend who didn't do biology at GCSE and it hasn't affected him in the slightest. It obviously limits your A Level options but thats down to you.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Sorry - what are you asking? Do you mean do you have to take triple science GCSes to do A level sciences?

where im at we can pick any science subject, so like do i have to pick all of them to do a levels in the uk
where im at we can pick any science subject, so like do i have to pick all of them to do a levels in the uk

No, but you must pick any you think you might do at A level.
Reply 6

-i dont want to do a level sciences
You don’t need science GCSEs to do A Levels in an unrelated subject. Whether you need them to get into sixth form depends on the policies of the sixth form you’re applying to - but there are colleges and sixth forms that don’t require GCSE science (provided you’re not wanting to do A Level sciences or related subjects).
-i dont want to do a level sciences

You have to take some science at GCSE.
You don’t need science at gcse to do a levels unless you want to do a level science. I know lots of people who didn’t do any science but they still did a levels. But do double check at your preferred colleges just in case they have a specific rules regarding this :smile:
Reply 10
You have to take some science at GCSE.

So if i take chem and bio, i can still do a-level (that are not science related) depending on the 6th form policies
Reply 11
Original post by ViktoriyaPetrov
You don’t need science at gcse to do a levels unless you want to do a level science. I know lots of people who didn’t do any science but they still did a levels. But do double check at your preferred colleges just in case they have a specific rules regarding this :smile:

Ok thanks though
So if i take chem and bio, i can still do a-level (that are not science related) depending on the 6th form policies

Yes you can :smile:

Yes of course. You can take any A level as long as you have the GCSE it requires. What A levels might you be considering?
Original post by ViktoriyaPetrov

In England you have to take some sort of Science as it's compulosry in KS4.
Reply 15
Yes of course. You can take any A level as long as you have the GCSE it requires. What A levels might you be considering?

I'm picking math's and business for sure, but I haven't made my mind for my 3rd subject

Heya! You don't need to do GCSE sciences to do a-levels that aren't sciences :smile: Generally it is advantageous to have some GCSE background to do a related a-level but since you aren't considering doing any a-level sciences then you don't need the GCSEs for them.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest