Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Contracted to 15 hours a week but work over 40 without overtime? watch

Hi,

My sister is contracted to 15 hours a week I think. However, she's been working over 40 hours per week! I was wondering if she was entitled to 'overtime' pay?

Thanks

EDIT: I think I should add that's shes 16 almost 17.

ReputationRep:
    different workplaces have different systems

at mine if u do overtime, u get how ever many hours u worked overtime off, rather than being paid extra

eg. i am contracted to work 37.5 hours...but if i work 40 hours.... 2.5 hours goes towards my paid holiday

ReputationRep:
    It depends. i'm contracted 12 hours, but say i worked 20, i'd be paid for the 8 the month after. However, some companies don't offer 'overtime pay'; they may pay the same rate whether overtime or contracted hours. Some may offer time back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimbolina)
    Hi,

My sister is contracted to 15 hours a week I think. However, she's been working over 40 hours per week! I was wondering if she was entitled to 'overtime' pay?

Thanks

EDIT: I think I should add that's shes 16 almost 17.
    She'll be entitled to straight time for every hour she works, and 1.5x for every hour over 40 hours in the majority of cases.

ReputationRep:
    The company I used to work for used to put, say 15 hours down on the contract, but generally you'd work more than that (say around 25-30). They only did it so that if the extra hours were not available, you would at least working the contracted hours.

ReputationRep:
    You generally having to working hours on top of a full time schedule to qualify for overtime. So if she'sdoing 45 hours a week, she's entitled to the laast five hours as overtime pay. Otherwise, everyone in the company would demand 5 hour contracts so they could qualify for 35 hours as overtime!

ReputationRep:
    Not entitled to overtime for the whole lot, however watch out when it comes to holiday/holiday pay etc. On a 15 hour week contract they only have to pay you holiday pay for 15 hours if you take a week off, keep a track of all hours worked and on what weeks as it's going to be a struggle to claim any more than that without evidence.

ReputationRep:
    This ought to be stated in the contract, I think. It varies between companies - I don't think there's any obligation to pay overtime at any more than normal time.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.