The Student Room Group

Choosing universities to go to

So thing is, I visited Sheffield uni the other day and I really like it, I would really love to go there but also I have this thing where I want to try doing difficult stuff just to see what could happen so I also have been prepping to apply for Cambridge and stuff. Cambridge is nice and everything and the course structure I want to do is good but idk I would really like to apply there just to see but that also means not being able to put Sheffield as my firm choice and also is trying to apply to Cambridge just for the shot really worth all the stress? Idk I'd regret not trying it at all but still
Hi!

From what you have said I would put sheffield university as your first choice, and then put cambridge as your other choice. You can pick between either one when it's time too, just because you put a university as your first choice doesn't mean you have to go to that university, a lot of people do change their mind after they pick their choices, and even end up at a university they didn't chose at all in the first place via clearing!

I would prioritise; if you like how the course is run, do you like the university campus, are you happy to live there for 3/4 years.

I hope this helps a bit!

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

From what you have said I would put sheffield university as your first choice, and then put cambridge as your other choice. You can pick between either one when it's time too, just because you put a university as your first choice doesn't mean you have to go to that university, a lot of people do change their mind after they pick their choices, and even end up at a university they didn't chose at all in the first place via clearing!

I would prioritise; if you like how the course is run, do you like the university campus, are you happy to live there for 3/4 years.

I hope this helps a bit!

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:

Yes thank you :smile:
Thing is I was thinking to do that but lots of people say unis like Cambridge and Oxford should be first cause they're the hardest to get into plus wouldn't me putting Cambridge as next just invalidate it or something then what if they don't bother with me or smth idk how it works properly it's all confusing to me haha
Original post by FloryK
So thing is, I visited Sheffield uni the other day and I really like it, I would really love to go there but also I have this thing where I want to try doing difficult stuff just to see what could happen so I also have been prepping to apply for Cambridge and stuff. Cambridge is nice and everything and the course structure I want to do is good but idk I would really like to apply there just to see but that also means not being able to put Sheffield as my firm choice and also is trying to apply to Cambridge just for the shot really worth all the stress? Idk I'd regret not trying it at all but still

You do not firm your unis until after you have done all the applying,admissions tests,P S,interviews and open days.Why not visit all the five unis,see who you get offers off and really look into the course details and the decision will be much easier.You have until early May to choose.No rush.
Hi @FloryK

It’s great to hear that you are interested in Sheffield!

Out of interest, what course is it that you are interested in studying?

I thought I’d explain a little bit about how the process works. On UCAS, you can apply for up to 5 universities (you don’t need to rank them). After you have received offers from those universities, you can decide which university you would like to firm and which university would be your insurance. On A level results day, if you are successful in getting the grades needed for you firm university offer, this will be the university that you go to. If you miss out the grades needed for your firm, but get the grades needed for your insurance this is where you will go.

Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi @FloryK

I thought I’d explain a little bit about how the process works. On UCAS, you can apply for up to 5 universities (you don’t need to rank them). After you have received offers from those universities, you can decide which university you would like to firm and which university would be your insurance. On A level results day, if you are successful in getting the grades needed for you firm university offer, this will be the university that you go to. If you miss out the grades needed for your firm, but get the grades needed for your insurance this is where you will go.

Succinct but great explanation!
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi @FloryK

Ohhh that makes a lot more sense, my teachers have hardly gone over anything to do with the applications stuff so I've just been sorting myself by myself haha but thank you that makes so so much more sense :smile: also thanks @Scotney .

And in response to the subject, I'm interested in studying pure biology or biochemistry, I'm leaning more to wanting to do bio in Sheffield though. :smile:
No problem. Great choice of subject too, son did Biology at Oxford Sheffield is a very good Biology course and was one of the top 5 he selected. If I can be any further help let me know. Cambridge as you know are Natural Sciences rather than straight Biology which was why he chose Oxford. Also put York, Bristol, Exeter. Remember to book open days now. Also look on Cambridge 2023 thread as their were some free zoom sessions on PS.
Original post by FloryK
Ohhh that makes a lot more sense, my teachers have hardly gone over anything to do with the applications stuff so I've just been sorting myself by myself haha but thank you that makes so so much more sense :smile: also thanks @Scotney .

And in response to the subject, I'm interested in studying pure biology or biochemistry, I'm leaning more to wanting to do bio in Sheffield though. :smile:

That's great to hear your interested in studying biology/ biochem with us! Two friends of mine studied biosciences here and have continued with masters, so I know from them its a good course! If you would like any more info about the course let us know and I'm sure we'll be able to direct you to the right place :smile:
Original post by FloryK

Hi there :smile:

So don't forget that you can apply to 5 courses as part of your UCAS application. You can apply for the course you want to do at Sheffield and also for one at Cambridge (plus up to 3 others as you wish spread your eggs into as many baskets as possible!). You don't have to accept any offers until the spring, so you can put in a Cambridge application as well, go through the Cambridge application process (which runs all the way up to an interview in December), and if you get offers from both Cambridge and Sheffield, you can make a decision in the new year as to which one you want to go to. Having been through the interview process, if you're successful in getting that far, you might have a better idea of whether it's something that would appeal to you.

Quick Reply

Latest