The Student Room Group

blotting paper instead of setting powder

I really like the finish of my foundation.
Instead of using a setting powder which costs lots from Charlotte tilbury, do u think I can just use some blotting paper after ive finished applying the foundation? to save money?
Would you not be able to use a different powder? I personally like to use setting spray as they don’t usually mess with the finish of the foundation. I’d imagine that a blotting paper would also pick up some of the foundation if it hasn’t been set and depending on your skin type you might end up needing to blot pretty frequently.
Original post by Sbjx
Would you not be able to use a different powder? I personally like to use setting spray as they don’t usually mess with the finish of the foundation. I’d imagine that a blotting paper would also pick up some of the foundation if it hasn’t been set and depending on your skin type you might end up needing to blot pretty frequently.

can you just use setting spray and not powder?
Original post by stickylikehoney
can you just use setting spray and not powder?

You can, powder will always be best for the under eyes but setting spray works better for the rest of the face imo
Original post by Sbjx
You can, powder will always be best for the under eyes but setting spray works better for the rest of the face imo

Do you think concealer is necessary? before I was using foundation as concealer
Do you think concealer is necessary? before I was using foundation as concealer

Do you have many skin issues e.g blemishes, under eye bags? If not then it’s not 100% necessary, however it is really good for creating a bit more of a sculpted look, but if you’re going for natural and don’t have many skin issues then foundations all you need :smile:
Original post by Sbjx
Do you have many skin issues e.g blemishes, under eye bags? If not then it’s not 100% necessary, however it is really good for creating a bit more of a sculpted look, but if you’re going for natural and don’t have many skin issues then foundations all you need :smile:

thanks
which products do u think are ok to go drugstore for?
thanks
which products do u think are ok to go drugstore for?

Everything! Some drugstore products are really good, you’d just have to swatch them and see which ones you like :smile:
I think a combo of setting spray & powder is the best way to go for me. Setting spray in the morning and then powder my T-zone throughout the day. I find that you don't need to spend a lot on a good translucent powder either - there's plenty of budget friendly drugstore products out there. Maybelline and Revolution being my faves!
Original post by karenburton1305
I think a combo of setting spray & powder is the best way to go for me. Setting spray in the morning and then powder my T-zone throughout the day. I find that you don't need to spend a lot on a good translucent powder either - there's plenty of budget friendly drugstore products out there. Maybelline and Revolution being my faves!

I had the Charlotte Tilbury one, it was expensive but good quality and I think it will last me up to two years. Seemed worth it I think if I was going to use it everyday.
But I'm just trying to make my make up drawer smaller so I just have a few essentials.

Every year I have the Armani power fabric foundation. its £45, but as it is long wearing it doesn't need a primer underneath. and because I love the finish it doesn't need a powder. I used it for ages without powder and then decided to buy the ct one cos I was trying to learn a bit more about make up, but I think I prefer how it looks without the powder cos It has such a beautiful finish on its own. I also used to just put a bit more foundation under my eyes and on a few blemishes and not have concealer, but then I bought the diorshow concealer and loved it so I might continue to buy concealer. Cos I love how it brightens the face. But before I used just the power fabric foundation on its own and no primer, powder or concealer and was happy so it is a bit of a wonder product! I also blend the foundation with moisturiser to make tinted moisturiser. So as long as I can have 1 or 2 bottles of this foundation a year, I have the base of my Make up drawer and only need a few other items!
People complain this item is expensive, but it doesn't need any complimentary products like a lot of other foundations so you can save money
(edited 1 year ago)
The Rimmel pressed powder is both cheap, and excellent. It's only downside is that it doesn't come in a compact with a mirror in the lid - I remove the pan (hot hairdryer melts the glue) and put it into a vintage Stratton compact (Etsy is a good hunting spot) for out and about.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest