The Student Room Group

Learning to Drive

Anyone got any tips on how to pass their test when they’re a nervous driver? My test is in 3 weeks time and I had a really bad lesson earlier, I was super hesitant and also my manoeuvres were dreadful. Even my instructor, who had being saying up until this point that I’m track for test, said today’s lesson is not test standard and going by that lesson I would most probably fail, and I 100% agree with her.

It’s really frustrating because I’ve got in a lot of private practice over the weekend and have been fine, but my lesson today has shattered my confidence.

I have a mock test next week and I am terrified.

Please any tips would be great!!
Original post by paperbudgie
Anyone got any tips on how to pass their test when they’re a nervous driver? My test is in 3 weeks time and I had a really bad lesson earlier, I was super hesitant and also my manoeuvres were dreadful. Even my instructor, who had being saying up until this point that I’m track for test, said today’s lesson is not test standard and going by that lesson I would most probably fail, and I 100% agree with her.

It’s really frustrating because I’ve got in a lot of private practice over the weekend and have been fine, but my lesson today has shattered my confidence.

There really aren't any secrets other than treat the test as a driving lesson and drive how you would normally with your instructor. Some people claim herbal remedies from Holland and Barret work to calm the nerves, but I have never used them.
Original post by Blue_Cow
There really aren't any secrets other than treat the test as a driving lesson and drive how you would normally with your instructor. Some people claim herbal remedies from Holland and Barret work to calm the nerves, but I have never used them.

thanks! I just feel like at this point I may not be ready but I don’t want to postpone my test really. Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t mind so much but Covid backlog is INSANE and it took me ages to book this initial test. 😬😬
Original post by paperbudgie

Hi, I'm kind of in a similar situation, my test is on Wednesday and I'm scared I'll be nervous. What sometimes helps me is pretending I'm the best, safest, most confident driver ever. It might seem stupid but if I convince myself I'm good at driving and confident, I act like it, and then I feel like I can basically become that good, safe, calm driver. I comfort myself by saying I only have to pretend to be a good driver for 40 minutes! Obviously, I'd hope to be a great driver all the time but 40 minutes seems very manageable, and it means when I feel like I'm not a good driver, I'm not too disheartened because I can still 'pretend' to be a good driver even if I'm not if that makes sense? Idk if I just think weirdly but it;s all psychological for me and has more to do with confidence than whether I am/am not a good driver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending