The Student Room Group

Should primary and secondary schools revise their History Syllabus ?

For instance teaching the kids about the ills of colonialism and how it caused great suffering to the lands and its people who were subjected to it ? Not enough is taught about this dark chapter of 'Great Britain' History.

I wanted to know whether its high time we started telling children the truth in schools instead of hiding it. Its not like the new generation won't find it out themselves so why not just tell them about our exploits across Africa and South East Asia and Indian Sub-Continent ?

The same could be said about America too but they're slowly mending their ways and teaching kids about the wrongs they did to Native Indians and the Blacks.

I just feel the world has moved on and changed or is changing (for the better).

Books written by old racist white men and women are being replaced with more reliable and relevant material that reflect the minds of todays generation or at least give a more balance perspective on the world instead of just seeing it from the eyes of an old white person.

What are your thoughts on this ladies and gentlemen ?
(edited 1 year ago)
I absolutely think so. Racism and the truth about colonialism should be in the curriculum. The most that is taught, in my opinion, is conquistadors having superior weapons and the slave trade. We need to teach how it impacted the locals for generations, how it affects minorities today, and we need to talk about the countries still ruled by the Queen despite her having never visited them in her life.
No, I don't think so.
That can wait until university level for those who wish to explore in detail.

At the moment there's been far too much emphasis upon European history in relation to the WWs and 16th century Spain.
There needs to be more of a focus on the history that has occured within England, Scotland and Ireland over the last 50 years.
It's fine to teach about the Tudor & Stuart eras, along with the Reformation and break from Rome.
So many young people know next to nothing about the history of Northern Ireland during the troubles era, the prescribed terror groups on both sides and GFA .
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
No, I don't think so.
That can wait until university level for those who wish to explore in detail.

At the moment there's been far too much emphasis upon European history in relation to the WWs and 16th century Spain.
There needs to be more of a focus on the history that has occurred within England, Scotland and Ireland over the last 50 years.
It's fine to teach about the Tudor & Stuart eras, along with the Reformation and break from Rome.
So many young people know next to nothing about the history of Northern Ireland during the troubles era, the prescribed terror groups on both sides and GFA .

I actually enjoyed learning and studying about lot of the early English history for example the death of King Edward (The Confessor) and how Harold Godwinson, Earl of Wessex, and William, Duke of Normandy aka William "The Conquerer" contested and fought for the right to rule England. I am of course referring to the Norman invasion of England and the battle of Hastings that followed in 1066. Whether or not King Harold had ANY justified stake to the throne, is debatable however my understanding of it all is that it was PROMISED to William. I could be wrong on this but I don't want to start a history discussion on this here lol

Hampton Court was pretty cool I have to admit. Learning about the Tudors was interesting. Its just the history of British Colonialism that I feel has a dark past and should not be celebrated.
We should change it particularly at GCSE (when will I ever need to know about the Chinese revolution.) some of the modern history like 9/11 would and should be taught and not yet but kids should be taught about Brexit and the pandemic in fact 2020 as a whole should be a unit.
Look at this O level history paper from 1962. Even within the three separate papers no-one what expected to cover all the ground examined. What it meant was that every teacher in every school could effectively teach that which he or she was interested in and thought that his or her students would benefit from.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskytcSE5
Reply 6
"What settlement of a) Italy b) Germany was made at the congress of Vienna ?"

YAWN

typical anti BAME question aimed to educate whites to be more white (and anti anything else)

sadly these are the same people who voted to ruin our country ( leave EU )

what a sad sad state of affairs we're in atm.
Reply 7
Original post by Junaid1986
For instance teaching the kids about the ills of colonialism and how it caused great suffering to the lands and its people who were subjected to it ? Not enough is taught about this dark chapter of 'Great Britain' History.

I wanted to know whether its high time we started telling children the truth in schools instead of hiding it. Its not like the new generation won't find it out themselves so why not just tell them about our exploits across Africa and South East Asia and Indian Sub-Continent ?

The same could be said about America too but they're slowly mending their ways and teaching kids about the wrongs they did to Native Indians and the Blacks.

I just feel the world has moved on and changed or is changing (for the better).

Books written by old racist white men and women are being replaced with more reliable and relevant material that reflect the minds of todays generation or at least give a more balance perspective on the world instead of just seeing it from the eyes of an old white person.

What are your thoughts on this ladies and gentlemen ?

Do you think this would have changed your life choices?
Original post by Junaid1986
"What settlement of a) Italy b) Germany was made at the congress of Vienna ?"

YAWN

typical anti BAME question aimed to educate whites to be more white (and anti anything else)

sadly these are the same people who voted to ruin our country ( leave EU )

what a sad sad state of affairs we're in atm.

I’d love to see you explain what is "anti BAME" about such a question. If you can just give me a warning so that I can get the popcorn ready because this will be comedy.

Quick Reply

Latest